My first 5 gal brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sbeltz

Reaction score
I completed my first 5 gal brew. I got off work a little late and wasn't going to bed without brewing on Wednesday so I started late and ended early... the next morning. I think everything went ok but I am very new at this, here are some pictures.

Notice my home made thermometer holder... My wife was very impressed with that.

pure confusion.jpg

Sanitazation.jpg

my home made thermometer holder.jpg

Pooring malt extract.jpg

after 24 hours.jpg

The holder is a great idea. I have a strong feeling you will be going all-grain in short order. Welcome to the hobby and most of all enjoy!

I bought the Master Brewers Kit with Kegging Setup from Midwest supplies. I have brewed using a used mr beer kit which was given to me once before but that didn't turn out so well. This time I thought I would give it a try using a better unused kit.

I would like to eventually go to full grain but I have a lot to learn about the process before I take the next step.

Thank's for all the support.

:mug:

Wait for the boil overs. Last batch i think i turned flannel! I only turned my back for two seconds and pashhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Once ya get the motions down it will be second nature. I remember my first brew :cross: but it sounded so easy!

Just an update on my first batch. The bubble trap stopped bubbling I took a gravity reading which came out to 1.012 the estimated range on the instructions for FG is 1.010-1.014. So I'm excited I covered it back up and will probably rack it to the keg tomorrow if I get the same reading.

My wife and I were talking though and are unsure if that is a good idea because it has only been a week. But from what I have read is that when its done fermenting its done so the rest is basically for clarity. Please correct me on this or I shall rack and enjoy soon.

My wife and I did taste the beer, and it tasted like uncarbonated honey beer. I think it turned out very well so far. My wife said that we had to have done something wrong because there is no way that it is this easy to brew your own beer.

lol, you wouldnt be saying that if you would have tasted the two gallon batch I made with that used MR Beer kit. I still dont have a clue why it was so nasty but it almost stopped me from brewing again. It had a decent taste up front but an after taste that made you want to cut off your tongue. But thanks for the incouragement.

Back