wyeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horsey

Reaction score
I'm on the phone right now trying to help a buddy out and could use some help. He was going to make a starter but didn't realize he didn't have any DME and had already smacked his smack pack of Wyeast yeast. I never used Wyeast before. How long is it good for after smacking? Does he have any alternatives to use instead of extract? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
One noob trying to help another noob

Check out the faq on the wyeast lab website. They address this issue.

http://www.wyeastlab.com/faqs.cfm?website=1#r20

7. I popped the inner nutrient pouch and the package swelled tight but I can’t use it right away. What do I do?

If you have activated a package but can’t use it right away, simply allow the package to swell and then refrigerate the package. The yeast will survive for extended periods if refrigerated. Before using, take the package out of the refrigerator and allow it to come up to room temperature before using. It is best to use the yeast as soon as possible.

The only other viable alternative I've heard of folks making starters with is to have him find the nearest Mexican grocery or even the nearest big box grocery store (like Meijer's) that has an "international foods" aisle and look for Malta Goya

large_316.jpg
MaltaGoya.jpg

Or Malta India

large_329.jpg

Quite a few people use it as a starter....It is pretty much just a lightly hopped, carbonated wort. Some people just stir it to release the co2, others bring to a boil and other's just bring it pasturizing temps. ANd then pitch the yeast.

There's a few threads on here about malta goya starters, both here and on other boards (google it)...and we even talked about it in the GAP (Grocery and produce challenge thread)

ANother option is to have him head to a bed bath and beyond or even a big box store that might carry mr beer refill packs and buy one of them...he can use the can of LME as his starter extract.

Just to expand on what others have said, the nutrient pouch doesn't really do anything of significance to the yeast. It's basically just a tiny bit of wort, which causes a tiny bit of fermentation, which is useful for making sure the package is still good. Your yeast will basically stay fresh just as long with the nutrient pack opened as it would have without it.

Otherwise, the training-beer Revvy mentioned is useful if you are in a serious pinch.

Back