Cold Crashing: How long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tamoore

Reaction score
I've been going for about 4 days, but how long is required? Is it a thing where the longer it sits at low temp, the clearer it'll be, or is there a point of diminishing returns? Is 24 hours long enough at 36 degrees to clear most everything out?

I typically cold crash overnight. Due to space, I've never really cold crashed longer than 2 days.

Longer the more clear. I am sure there is a point of diminishing returns somewhere around a week or so. Mine are generally crystal clear after less than a week.

what if we just cold crash in the keg while carbonating? That way, the first 2 beers will be awful, but the beer after that will be fine . . . any problem with doing this? (except for losing 2 glasses of beer of course.)

I second a week. For everything I've cold crashed in the past, I didn't notice much of a difference after that.

I cold crash in the keg after leaving it in the primary for 3 weeks to get a tight trub bed. I actually cold crash for a few days to chill the beer, then force carb for 2 days at 30 psi, purge and set to serving pressure. Cold beer absorbs CO2 better. The first pint or two are cloudy but still drinkable! The longer it sits the clearer it gets

I second a week. For everything I've cold crashed in the past, I didn't notice much of a difference after that.

Well that's perfect then. I'll just primary for as long as I need. Then once done I will rack into the keg, throw it in the fridge, let sit for a day, hit it with CO2 after the 24 hour period, then let it sit for a week in there. I'll then pour off the first two beers and be ready to drink

Back