Do you factor in rice hulls as part of the grain bill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kidder

Reaction score
Since it only serves a filtering purpose should I factor it in? There are no fermentables in rice hulls, right?

I'm going to brew the Franziskaner clone in Beer Captured on Thursday night I think. Has anyone tried it? How is it? I may use the Danstar Munich dry yeast. Or should I spring for a liquid yeast?

Thanks!

Great, that answers my question. Though I wouldn't think that the hulls themselves would absorb water. I guess they do after all.

Thanks.

You'll want to factor the hulls into your water amount calculations as they will absorb mash water just like the rest of your grist.

Great, that answers my question. Though I wouldn't think that the hulls themselves would absorb water. I guess they do after all.

Thanks.
You can reduce the hulls' absorption by soaking them first. That also helps to kill the dust they have a tendency to hold.

Yeah ... I usually toss my rice hulls into a bowl of hot water (or actually, put rice hulls in a bowl, then add hot water) as I begin heating my strike water. Then when I put my strike water in the MLT I drain the rice hulls and toss them in. Wait 15 minutes then dough in. That way they're saturated with water when they go in, and any temp loss they cause happens before the grain is added.

Just my $0.02.

You can reduce the hulls' absorption by soaking them first. That also helps to kill the dust they have a tendency to hold.

This is what I do. If you pre-saturate them you don't have to make any changes in you calculations. Plus, once you see the black water running off those things when you rinse them, you will be glad you did.

This is what I do. If you pre-saturate them you don't have to make any changes in you calculations. Plus, once you see the black water running off those things when you rinse them, you will be glad you did.

Gross... one more thing to add to the process. Thanks for the tip.

Pardon me for the tangent, but... I am always surprised by how freaked out people get regarding those damned "dirty" rice hulls. Is not barley almost as dusty and dirty as rice hulls? Pretty much. Is not the mash a giant filter bed? Certainly. Does not your wort run clear before it goes into your kettle? Mine does. So what it is to be freaked out about?

It reminds me of the people who think cast iron fry pans are gross because you don't soap them up after use.

Anyway, to each his own subtleties of process. If rinsing makes you feel better about rice hulls, do it. The bottom line is that rice hulls are awesome and you guys are all alright in my book. Carry on...

Back