Swmbo idea: camping beer... making while camping that is...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rshosted

Reaction score
So I build a rocking brewstand (according to me), that is also easily transportable. I want to do a brew on Friday day, swmbo wants to go camping. She suggests, I made a portable brewstand to do just this. I'm thinking my travel trailer holds 90 gallons of water. I go for 2 days. I could probably sacrafice 30-40 gallons of water to do my typical 10 gallon all grain batch. hmmmm

Have I gone mad?!?!? Or is this a good idea.... hmmm bugs, weather, outdoors (do that anyway)....

Anyone ever done this?

Anyone have suggested recipe or names for said brew (you're all much more creative than I)?

Just use the water from camp that way you could name it after your trip. What's the point of making it there if you can't include some of surroundings. I dont think your crazy, but man when I go camping I already have too much crap.

Ya know, I really don't see a problem with this, considering it's a propane system. The one thing I would suggest is getting a tarp to keep needles/sap/random debris from falling in your MLT, kettle or whatever beer you'll be drinking.... because you will be drinking ^_^

As for names, it depends on what kind of beer it is. "Roughin' It Red" sounds fun to me!

I think it would pose a few extra challenges, but nothing that can't be overcome. I think cleanup would be harder than at home. It would definitely be an exercise in trying to see what equipment you really can get away without.

I would consider doing an extract batch for the first cammpng trip. LEss equipment is needed, less time is needed. just a thought.

Plan for a yeast that will handle the ambient temps properly unless you can accommodate keeping it regulated.

This a one day trip? If so then it might be fine.

Might be a perfect time to try out no chill. Pitch the yeast when you get home.

I do a lot of backpacking, so thats what I thought when you said camping. I might be able to make a 2 bottle batch with a Jetboil...

I've made extract kits on a firepit in the backyard.

Your travel trailer and brewstand would be like a mobile kitchen compared to that. GO FOR IT!

Sounds like a huge PITA to me but that's only my opinion. I have read other trying this before around here and each time I read them I shutter slightly because of the fact of hauling all that crap around to go through the aggravation of brewing in "make shift" conditions.

If it's something that excites you then go for it. It seems that you are excited about it so I say do it. Not for me though.

Back