All extract brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vsanchez949

Reaction score
Im about to embark on my first all extract brew. My question is, My recipe calls for an amber liquid malt extract and a wheat liquid malt extract. Which one should i add first or do i add them both at the same time? Do i wait for the hotbreak to occur the add the second one towards the end? Any help would be great. Thanks!!

I really don't think it makes THAT much difference. I would add more then 1/2 at the beginning and the rest with 20 minutes to go.

Usually when I'm doing an extract batch, I'll add after steeping specialty grains (if any) and before it actually starts boiling. That way I get it dissolved before the pot gets too hot. Helps to avoid extract burning onto the bottom of the pot.

But, there's no reason to avoid adding some of it later (like at 30), and some advantages like lighter color and more bitterness extracted from the hops.

Personally, I boil the whole thing for 60 minutes.

Usually when I'm doing an extract batch, I'll add after steeping specialty grains (if any) and before it actually starts boiling. That way I get it dissolved before the pot gets too hot. Helps to avoid extract burning onto the bottom of the pot.

But, there's no reason to avoid adding some of it later (like at 30), and some advantages like lighter color and more bitterness extracted from the hops.

Personally, I boil the whole thing for 60 minutes.

Sounds good to me! Thanks for the info guys! :mug:

I would be careful, there have been some recent discussions on hop utilization. Essentially adding the other half of your extract later will cause you to have a more bitter beer than if you followed the original recipe. If you can do a full boil do it and if you can't follow the recipe. Just be sure to remove the pot from the heat BEFORE adding your malt and put it back once you have completely disolved the malt. Otherwise you can end up with scorching on your pot, and a burnt flavor in your beer.

I would be careful, there have been some recent discussions on hop utilization. Essentially adding the other half of your extract later will cause you to have a more bitter beer than if you followed the original recipe. .

My Barley&Vine Shock-Top and Blue Moon clone kits both call for separating the DME additions, with 3 pounds Munton's Belgian DME just before the 45 minute boil, and the 2nd addition of 2 pounds Munton's Belgian DME just after the 45 minute boil (45 min. of the 60 minute boil of course in both cases).

If this results in a more bitter taste, this could explain why my batches are coming out way more bitter than I would ever want. I suppose I should just add all 5 pounds at once just before the 45 minute boil?

Would increasing the boil from 60 minutes total to 90 minutes total lower bitterness (because the DME and the hops are boiling longer and settling to the bottom of the stock pot)???
:confused:

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j384/spacey0666/barleyampvineshock-topclone_zpsd2a9dbba.jpg

Looking at the image, it says that the IBU = 22. BeerSmith calls for Belgian Wits to be in a range of 10-20 IBU.

Latest posts

Back