Wine Kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kurtm

Reaction score
What opinions are out there regarding the different wine kit brands? Does anyone have favorites? My supplier uses RJ Spagnola and they have several different brands. Please let me know if you have tried the diferent types...bolero, cru...etc?

Thank you for the response...What else have you tried, and did you not like a certain brand? I am ready to bottle today or tomorrow, and plan to sanitize my bottles with iodine, rinse, and then rinse in m.sulphite. How do you sanitize? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

I use idophor to sanitize. I haven't used other kits at this point but may with my next batch depending on what they have at the LHBS.

I just bottled my first batch of wine after a couple of years of brewing ales. Moments Austrailian Sirahz. Tasted pretty good at bottling, more fruity than I expected with a lot of flavor. How much time do you think it takes before optimal tasting... what I have read is 5 months.

It varies. I bottle a few in PET bottles for testing over time, but have found 3-5 months is about right. The batch I bottled in March, people I gave it to loved it and want more.

Okay... had to have a bottle last night of the new sirahz.... it is quite fruity, and after doing a little research, I discovered that it is supposed to be.. But... I detected a slight efferevesence, not visible, just something I could sense in the tasting. I must have messed up on the degassing... any tips of how you do it?

I have used the brewking line very successfully (Vintners reserve, international & limited ed's)

When I clean and sanitise - I just use a solution of Potassium Metabisulphate

Spray inside and outside of all equipment and hands - don't rinse, work :)

no problems so far.

Kilroy

So far I've made these kits:

Wine Expert Vintner's Reserve:
- Luna Bianca - I liked this a lot
- Cabernet Sauvignon - another few days and it'll have been in the bottles long enough to drink
- Chardonnay - should be bottled soon, this afternoon, if it's ready
- Chardonnay/Semimllon - just racked out of primary into carboy last night

Chai Maison Vintner's Reserve - Gerwertztraminer - I like this

We have others planned when the equipment is free again! :)

I have recently started making wine though been brewing ales for a year. I have used only one brand of wine kit 'Solomon Grundy' peach, rose & cherry and they are delicious. The peach wine is my favourite.
I use VWP to sterilise and find it excellent.

Cheers!

hi guys. i have never made wine before and was thinking about it... i have made a few beer brews and was just wondering if it is preety much the same. do you use the same fermenter?? i only have 1. and put it into secondry or straight into bottles??

thanks guys..

Back