Dead yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhazel

Reaction score
I just got back from a month-long vacation and I found a packet of dry Montrachet Wine YEast that had been sitting in a brewing bucket in the garage (1 month old). I live in AZ and temps get up to 110 degrees so the garage could have been 120 or so.

Would that kill the dry yeast? I just dumped it into some apfelwein without thinking about the temps it had been exposed to. No airlock activity after 24 hours.

Should I run to the LHBS and grab another pack (only reason I ask is because its quite a bit of a drive).

Thanks

Give it a little time because there really isn't much to see with Apfelwein fermentation.

Dry yeast is pretty hardy but it's hard to say whether your unintentional yeast abuse was too much for it.

Absolutely give it 48 hours before pitching again. No need to go out and get more yeast if you don't have to. As Nurmey stated, fermentations of apfelwein are very sneaky. You don't get the krausen like a batch of beer, just some tiny CO2 bubbles. Give it a day or so and then repitch if there is no activity (no change in SG).

Back