First All-Grain Brew Day pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjp36

Reaction score
So today i brewed up my first all grain and first recipe i created
myself, a toasted oatmeal stout. I borrowed the girlfriends camera for the day
and finally got a chance to snap some photos.

First, My newly built MLT
Picture_0017.jpg

The CPVC Manifold. I was worried about possible getting a stuck sparge
because of the oats, but it worked perfectly.
Picture_0028.jpg

Mash In:
Picture_0037.jpg

Tranferring to fermenter:
Picture_009.jpg

All finished:
Picture_0104.jpg

All said and done, it was a lot easier then i thought. I was also pretty psyched because i got nearly 79% efficiency!

Not that long. I didn't time it but i'd say around 15-20 minutes tops.

I have full length grates over the burners though, so i'm able to straddle 2 burners at once which i'm sure speeds up the process.

I'm hoping your wort proofed that probe thermometer...:eek:
:mug:

haha. I remembered i wasn't supposed to get the wire wet right before it was too late. Actually there is still a little bit of the probe exposed, but its bent at an angle so it looks like a peice of the cable. I will be waterproofing it in the future. In the meantime i just screwed an eyehook into the top of the MLT and hung it from there so the only the probe got wet and the wire stayed above the mash.

I'm hoping your wort proofed that probe thermometer...:eek:
:mug:

Ummm.. Are you saying those probe thermometers can't go in the wort like that? I always put my wire in the tun without thinking it would matter. I'm currently on my second probe thermometer, probably due to the wire getting put into hot wort numerous times. Whats the best way to waterproof it?

Congrats on your first AG. :mug:

So today i brewed up my first all grain and first recipe i created
myself, a toasted oatmeal stout. I borrowed the girlfriends camera for the day
and finally got a chance to snap some photos.

First, My newly built MLT
Picture_0017.jpg

The CPVC Manifold. I was worried about possible getting a stuck sparge
because of the oats, but it worked perfectly.
Picture_0028.jpg

Mash In:
Picture_0037.jpg

i have never done a all grain before what is the manifold or on the bottom how does it work?

The manifold is basically just a drain for the cooler that prevents all the grain from being sucked out and getting stuck in the tubing/ball valve. On the bottom of it there are lots of tiny holes drilled in it which let the wort in but keep most of the gains out. Its an alternative to the stainless braid method, but since i have a bunch of CPVC around i decided to use that instead.

The manifold is basically just a drain for the cooler that prevents all the grain from being sucked out and getting stuck in the tubing/ball valve. On the bottom of it there are lots of tiny holes drilled in it which let the wort in but keep most of the gains out. Its an alternative to the stainless braid method, but since i have a bunch of CPVC around i decided to use that instead.

WHAT SIZE HOLES DID YOU DRILL I MAY BE USING THIS IDEA SEEING HOW IT LOOKS EASY :D

Back