Honolulu

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buchsenr

Reaction score
I just moved to Hawaii(don't hate me) and am ready to get back into brewing after a few month hiatus. After some online research I think I found a LHBS off of Nimitz Hwy, does anyone know of a local I can shop at?

Also I was thinking have the lords of this site thought about building a LHBS list?

Yes Hawaii's great but I don't have A/C so fermenting is going to be interesting...

Aloha Buchsenr,
Welcome to the 808. Homebrew in paradise off of Nimitz is the best store in Hawaii.

Hows it going Buchsenr, besides KauaiKahuna, I know of Mummasan as well as myself that live on Oahu. Homebrew in Paradise is the only brew shop on Oahu, luckily the owner (Mike) is great and his prices are good.

For fermenting, I recommend you get a cooler. Up until now, I have been using a MaxIgloo 70 quart from Costco. I just leave the lid open and fill water about 1/3 of the Carboy and add ice as needed. I just picked up a Sanyo that I will use to ferment in though. I know Mummasan uses a son of a fermentation chiller. Good luck!

Nice to see more brewers on Oahu,, I'm located on the Leeward side. Last month I brewed my first beer and will start my second batch on Sunday. I did not use a cooler as I selected beer with higher fermenting temperatures. Will probably go with the cooler for my third batch as it will need a lower temperature.

Lightweight is right about my son of fermentation chiller - but I just tore it up b/c I bought a small fridge and a temp regulator to have better control over my fermentation temps. Lightweight motivated me to do that b/c that is what he's got in his garage. It works like a charm.

The LHBS off Nimitz is the only one on the island...if you don't go there you'll have to buy everything off the internet. In general, I am happy it's there. I'd be happier if he stocked Nottingham and Safale yeast, but I am not complaining.

Lightweight is right about my son of fermentation chiller - but I just tore it up b/c I bought a small fridge and a temp regulator to have better control over my fermentation temps. Lightweight motivated me to do that b/c that is what he's got in his garage. It works like a charm.

The LHBS off Nimitz is the only one on the island...if you don't go there you'll have to buy everything off the internet. In general, I am happy it's there. I'd be happier if he stocked Nottingham and Safale yeast, but I am not complaining.

I lived in Hawaii for a few years, started brewing there. Not much in the way options when it comes to supplies, but you learn to live with it. If you want some Nottingham yeast sent your way send me a PM and we can work something out.

Back