Historic Ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z987k

Reaction score
I bought this 4 pack of "historic ales from Scotland" and I thought, for the most part they were very good. I know most of the time when people brew these they are at least disappointed and I don't think I've read a thread of people brewing them again.
The box come with a sheet on them, and I thought it'd be very useful to people wanting to brew these. I took a picture of the paper and thought I'd share my tasting notes.

img_1863.jpg

First, well one is missing ( I don't know what i did with the bottle.) The beers included in the pack are: gooseberry wheat ale, scots pine ale, heather ale, and elderberry black ale
The wheat is very much like any other wheat ale flavored with a fruit. In this case gooseberries. The mouth feel has a very silkiness to it.
The pine ale was my favorite, a bit of pine treeiness if you will by flavored very well all around. Had some fruitiness going on as well, but I couldn't identify what fruit.
The heather ale, well it tasted like your generic very low hopped pale ale if you will, not much going on there, but very drinkable.
The elderberry black ale has subtle hints of coffee and toasted nuts, and also had the fruity thing going again, very sweet, not entirely balanced.

Here are the pictures of the pamphlet that it came with to help out anyone who would like to reproduce these:

img_1864.jpg

img_1865.jpg

img_1866.jpg

I've got the back side as well, which is basically more information from a historical standpoint if anyone would like to see those as well.

Back