Threaded Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sgt. Major

Reaction score
I'm probably about to be flogged for asking this question, but here it goes. Is it possible to successfuly cap threaded bottles with a crown capper? Will it hold pressure? Is it safe? Will the homebrew leak out its co2? Does anyone do this? I was looking at a Bud twist off cap today and thinking to myself, "well hell, this looks like it would be fine to just recap and twist off when ready!". So, I took an empty Bud lite bottle that my sis saved for me (sweet of her to do that, but I told her that I couldn't use them for homebrew....or can I!) and capped it. I filled it w/ water first, to check a liquid leak. I had to cap it twice (on the same cap) to get it even. It looks like it'll hold, but I wanted to ask. No water leakage, btw.

Cheers,
Sgt. Major

It is not recommended, Twist off bottles are weaker than pop offs and tend to break. I dont think they will seal as well either.

Just as you found out, it's possible but harder to get it on right. I agree they are more likely to break as well.

Just for the hell of it, I think I'll bottle one or two and see what happens. I have figured out that this is what homebrewing is all about. Kind of a "what the hell....give it a try" attitude. Thanks for the quick replies. I'll let ya'll know how it turns out. I'll be bottling around next Wed or Thurs I would imagine. Traditional Irish Stout kit from Midwest Brewing Supply.

if you have a bench capper - NO PROB BOB! iF YOU ARE USING A WING CAPPER....GOOD LUCK! Try to stick to Bud Bottles....and still...if you're using a wing capper....expect a few to break.

Funny you should bring this up. Somehow some threaded bottles snuck into my stash (I've got to pay closer attention). I opened one last night that was capped with a wing capper. The seal was awful. I could have popped the cap off with my thumb. Needless to say, the beer was flat as could be. Tasty, but flat. I hope there aren't any more threaded bottles in there, but I'm not optimistic.

I am about to start a test where I bottle a couple of beers from each batch in twistoffs (with a benchcapper).

The dry runs I've done so far held water and were very tight. I am concerned, however, about the flatness and thinness of the rim compared to recappable bottles.

We will see.

I capped a few twist-offs on my last batch with a bench capper and I haven't had any problems. I may do more on my next batch.

My Simple test before I used good beer was to dump a nearly frozen A&W root beer into a twist off bottle, cap it, then once it was warm I shook the crap out of it and held it under water to look for leaks. Since I found none, I've done 8 cases of twist tops and had no problems.

I have a buddy that reuses not only the bottles but also the caps and just like a jar lid since the twist off they also twist back on. No need of a capper bench or winged.

Well, I ended up not using a threaded bottle. I just didn't have enough beer to fill one after using my bottles. I did notice, though, that the bottles I bought are about the same thickness as a Bud-Lite bottle, which is rather thin. In fact, I cracked the lip on one while capping. Where is a good place to buy thicker bottles? I got these from Midwest. Any suggestions, guys?

All I use are twist top bottles. I must have 300. I've never had any problems capping even with Red Head Double Lever Capper. Perhaps the twist top bottles are a little heavier glass here in Canada.

Paul

Back