Where Else to Get a Minibrew Fermenter Thermometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EinGutesBier

Reaction score
After receiving my 8 gallon minibrew fermenter on Wednesday, I noticed they had that handy-dandy hole for the thermometer. When I found it on their site, it was a lovely $50. Since I can't find it on eBay, I wonder if there's another place out there I can get the (virtually) same thing that'll be compatible with my fermenter...just for less.

Also, how good is the seal on those minibrew fermenters? It seems like the lid just sits on top. Is that really safe for the brew?

Try morebeer or your lhbs and just look for a dial thermometer with 1/2 threads you can screw in. You'll want to make sure the temp range is right as well.

The lid just sits on top and you don't need an airlock. It's in essence an open fermenter. I've had mine for almost a year and no problems. Just don't open it and peek in too often or sneeze in it.

You can buy a gasket kit that will allow you to seal it like a normal fermenter and you'll put an airlock through one of the openings on the lid. I think that's a waste of money though.

You may also notice that some yeasts act a little differently in an open fermenter/conical. I tend to get a little better attenuation with the conical than I do in a carboy.

jdoiv said:
Try morebeer or your lhbs and just look for a dial thermometer with 1/2 threads you can screw in. You'll want to make sure the temp range is right as well.

The lid just sits on top and you don't need an airlock. It's in essence an open fermenter. I've had mine for almost a year and no problems. Just don't open it and peek in too often or sneeze in it.

You can buy a gasket kit that will allow you to seal it like a normal fermenter and you'll put an airlock through one of the openings on the lid. I think that's a waste of money though.

You may also notice that some yeasts act a little differently in an open fermenter/conical. I tend to get a little better attenuation with the conical than I do in a carboy.
Right now I have a long needled standard stainless thermometer. The question would be how do I outfit it to get it to fit in the plastic threaded opening? I was thinking I could take the plug that screws into that hole, drill a hole in the middle and put my thermometer in that. Then screw it back in and voila. What do you think? The only problem is that it has only a general temperature range (goes up by 5s).

I would be worried that that solution would leak.

More beer has this which will work just fine and isn't as expensive.

Do some looking on the web and I'm sure you'll find some similar solutions.

Back