single temp or multi-rest mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miatawnt2b

Reaction score
Just curious if you use/think multi rest mashing is absolutely necessary? The multi rest method seems like a real pain with the cooler style mash tun, and I was wondering if the benefits of a multi rest mash really outweigh the hassles.

thanks,
-J

Depends on the beer. The only multi-step mashes I have done have been when I've done decoctions. Acid and protein rests are nice for hefeweizens, and I did a protein rest with the bock. For 98% of recipes with today's highly modified malts, they're unneccessary.

the_bird said:
...For 98% of recipes with today's highly modified malts, they're unneccessary...
That's why I avoid that other 2%. :D

My only recipe that would use it because of ingredients, is my blue-balls belgian.

But then again...it's a wheat beer so no need.

the_bird said:
Baron got me hooked on the acid rest for a hefe; the batch I made had a real nice tartness as a result. Not too much, just right.

Hmm, I may have to try that next time. What's your process?

multi rest not necessary? i really depends on what you want to achieve. i personally subscribe to palmers schedule of 40,60,70. although i tend to fluctuate the last 2 by a few degrees.

i guess its not necessary if you really dont want to experiment with flavor and abv.

jbreiding said:
i guess its not necessary if you really dont want to experiment with flavor and abv.

I'm not sure I would agree with that particular sentiment... what kinds of malts are you using? If you're malt is highly modified and you're doing a protein rest, you're risking killing your body and head retention. I listen to Jamil pretty regularly, he's a pretty strong advocate of single-infusion for almost all beer styles, and there are certainly plenty of other variables to work with.

I like to do multi step on some beers. Kind of adds something to the brew day. I will say the beers I have done decoctions on have been my best beers. Might be other factors, I really don't know.

miatawnt2b said:
Just curious if you use/think multi rest mashing is absolutely necessary? The multi rest method seems like a real pain with the cooler style mash tun, and I was wondering if the benefits of a multi rest mash really outweigh the hassles.

thanks,
-J
I just did a wheat from the BYO clone issue that had three temp rests plus a mash out. Check into the steam heated mlt thread. Was pretty easy to do with the steam.

the_bird said:
I'm not sure I would agree with that particular sentiment... what kinds of malts are you using? If you're malt is highly modified and you're doing a protein rest, you're risking killing your body and head retention. I listen to Jamil pretty regularly, he's a pretty strong advocate of single-infusion for almost all beer styles, and there are certainly plenty of other variables to work with.

thats fine if you think there is a single sugar profile coming from the malts. and the acid rest while not necessary does help. i have had no problem with head retention or body using this schedule.

Excuse me for the hijack, but the BYO clone issue that was mentioned above, is that the "150 Classic Clone Recipes" on the BYO website? I think I need to order a copy of that.

It also depends on the equipment that you have. If you're using a convverted cooler as an MLT, then you're a bit limited. You can still to a multi-step mash, but you're going to have to do it by adding volumes of water af calculated temperatures and reduce those volumes from the amount of sparge water that you use.

the only time i do a multi-step is when i do a protein rest (wheat beer) and then heat to conversion. not unless you want to include mash-out, not really a step though. i have made many a good beer w/o multi step and i do mash in kettles that can be heated.

Back