Fruit Beer Blood Orange Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will be close to the original, the only real change will be some of the finish characteristics...but when using a dual yeast blend, they are very small changes.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

It will be close to the original, the only real change will be some of the finish characteristics...but when using a dual yeast blend, they are very small changes.

Thanks Slim!

George

I'm in Tulsa....of course drinking craft beers....and I just had a horrible blood orange beer. It was so bad that it taste like an IPA meet a Sour...so I can't wait to go home and brew this recipe again!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm in Tulsa....of course drinking craft beers....and I just had a horrible blood orange beer. It was so bad that it taste like an IPA meet a Sour...so I can't wait to go home and brew this recipe again!

MY version turned out a little sour to me as well.....however everyone that's tried it (including a BJCP cert judge) has really liked it.....I'm never happy though......here's my version....thanks for the inspiration SD SLIM!

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 10.19 gal
Post Boil Volume: 9.57 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 9.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 9.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated Color: 4.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 73.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.00 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -
8.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 2 3.0 %
8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 48.5 %
5 lbs Wheat, White (Cargill) (2.9 SRM) Grain 4 30.3 %
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 5 12.1 %
1 lbs Brown Sugar, Light (8.0 SRM) Sugar 6 6.1 %
0.50 oz Cascade [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 4.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [4.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 8 2.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Sorachi Ace [11.90 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 9 6.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Sorachi Ace [11.90 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 2.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 11 -
2.0 pkg Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068) Yeast 12 -
18.00 oz Torani Blood Orange Extract (Secondary 1 Flavor 13 -
3.50 l Simply Lemonade (Secondary 14.0 days) Flavor 14 -

How strong is the orange flavor in the original recipe? I'm planning to brew a batch this weekend.

For reference: If I get a Blue Moon at that bar I'll squeeze as much orange as I can get into it. I think the orange flavor is more pronounce with Shock Top but i still add plenty to it.

I'm hoping this has more orange / citrus flavor right off the keg.

You control that by adding as much syrup to your orange aide as you like...so try it before you add it and if it comes out the way you like then your golden. Also you could sub the orange-aide for just plain orange juice...I didn't like the results, but it may fit your palet!

is there anything crucial about when the orangeade and second yeast get mixed in?

i made a big starter with a stir plate and pitched at high krausen so it didn't take long to get things moving. I pitched 48 hours ago. Yesterday the yeast were rockin an rollin, thanks for the heads up on the blow off tube! Today i haven't got the vigorous, foam coming out of the blow off tube sort of action it had yesterday. Now there is a bubble every 2 seconds. Any reason to wait another day or two before adding the orangeade and yeast?

To reduce the fermentation reaction on the orange aid, as for the yeast it takes a few days for the first yeast to go semi dormant...then the additions and the new yeast start of the second yeast that helps finishes the beer.

anybody have any reports on harvesting / washing the yeast mix for re-use with this recipe or use with another recipe?

Day one of the blood orange hef.

1402613109481.jpg

Thanks I can't wait to try it. How long do you think I should let it sit in the primary. I'm new to brewing a hef.

Thanks I can't wait to try it. How long do you think I should let it sit in the primary. I'm new to brewing a hef.

The recipe says 3 weeks in primary. I just cold crashed mine at 20 days because the hydrometer sample was phenomenal. It will probably sit cold for a week before I keg it because I have some stuff going on.

Gentleman....it's a Hefeweizen, there is absolutely no reason to cold crash this style of beer. Cold crashing a beer is used as a fining technique to clear up beers, Hef's are and always be a cloudy beer.
Additionally the three weeks I call for in the recipe are for as follows....first 4 days, primary fermentation, next 4 days limeade addition fermentation, week two is a slower secondary fermentation and finally week three is cleanup time for yeast where they eat bi-products that are formed while making these beer, also this extra week marries the flavors together which results in a smoother beer...cold crashing would prevent yeast from doing this.

Gentleman....it's a Hefeweizen, there is absolutely no reason to cold crash this style of beer. Cold crashing a beer is used as a fining technique to clear up beers, Hef's are and always be a cloudy beer.
Additionally the three weeks I call for in the recipe are for as follows....first 4 days, primary fermentation, next 4 days limeade addition fermentation, week two is a slower secondary fermentation and finally week three is cleanup time for yeast where they eat bi-products that are formed while making these beer, also this extra week marries the flavors together which results in a smoother beer...cold crashing would prevent yeast from doing this.

Thanks for the reply! I should have been more specific though. I didn't cold crash for sake of clearing the beer.

I keg my beer and the kegerator is good at keeping things cold, but not so much bringing them down from room temperature. So to compensate, I bring the beer down to serving temp with my carboy in the ferm chamber and rack it cold into the keg.

For this beer I did that after three weeks, so I think everything was done as far as fermentation is concerned. Tasted pretty damn good when I tried it!

I plan on kegging my american wheat after bottling about a twelve pack. Should i get it cold before force carbing it? This is after 3 weeks primary and finishing a week in secondary( not a full week, about 5 days).

I plan on kegging my american wheat after bottling about a twelve pack. Should i get it cold before force carbing it? This is after 3 weeks primary and finishing a week in secondary( not a full week, about 5 days).

The colder beer is, the better gas dissolves into it. That's why warm beer lines cause foamy pours; the gas comes out of solution.

So that being said, my beer is always cold when the gas lines get connected. I can usually get 5 gallons carbed up in 3-4 days that way.

Hope that answers your question.

Yes , that chart is awesome. I guess what I will do is, after bottling ill store the keg in my kegerator for a day and then connected to the co2. Thanks

Yes , that chart is awesome. I guess what I will do is, after bottling ill store the keg in my kegerator for a day and then connected to the co2. Thanks

If you are putting the keg in a kegerator, I would just put it on gas as soon as I stick the keg in there. Even if the beer is still warm you're at least getting a little jumpstart on carbing up while it cools down. Might get you enjoying your beer a day early! :ban:

Finished brewing this last night, transferred to carboy with a blow-off tube and woke up to half a gallon on the floor. Potentially the most violent fermentation I've ever seen. Had to eventually use hose clamps on the carboy cap and hoses to keep them in place. This was my first yeast starter and it made me a believer!

Question on the Orange zest: I don't have a zester so I just used a normal vegetable peeler and shaved off 1-1.5 inch strips of peeling from two oranges and threw the handful into the pot. Do you normally have zest transfer to the primary or are the filtered out? Mine filtered out but I'm already anticipating a future brew of this for a Halloween party later this year and wanted to know for the next batch.

Zest is only needed in the boil, while some people add it to the wort....it would take several weeks to add any flavor.

This may be a silly question,but the hop additions are expressed in oz correct? So quarter oz cascade etc.

Yes hops are sold in ounce or pound, so recipe is written in ounces

Has anyone ever had to back sweeten this? I had mine in the primary for 3 weeks and it finished at 1.007. Haven't decided what to sweeten it with but it needs something for sure. Guess I'll probably just use a frozen lemonade concentrate with some additional Blood Orange concentrate.

I had a very hard time controlling my fermentation temps this time around (I use an icewater bath). I usually float in the 64-65 range, but my basment has been abnormally warm so this batch has been 66-68.

Does anyone forsee any potential problems with this flavor wise? What temps do you normally ferment this beer at?

I brewed this on 8/3, hit the O.G., and added the syrup and extra yeast on 8/8. I just checked the gravity and it is down to 1.02. Is it possible that it will drop to 1.01 in the next couple of weeks?

Also, did anyone else's taste like orange right away? Mine tastes like a lemon-wheat. I am hoping the orange will come through.

Not this recipe, but I have a Blood Orange & Green Tea Wheat that I've carbed and the orange has not come through..... Can I depressureize the keg and open it safely to backsweeten it?

well I purchased blood orange torani syrup some time ago with hopes of brewing this beer... ended up brewing an amazing Saison with it, but it wasn't very heavy on the orange. we dubbed it the NSBOS- Not So Blood Orange Saison.

I now return to brew the hefe with blood orange as I originally purchased it for. brewing 5 gallons (Will end up with 6) of the blood orange hefe and 5 gallons of rye IPA for my wedding. I have a few questions:

1] does anyone have an post boil OG (Pre blood orange lemonade addition)? my OG ended up being pretty high.

2] does anyone have a ferm schedule? I'm fermenting on the cool side right now at 63*. wondering what others recommend, and whether they alter the temp after adding the second yeast and lemonade.

3] anyone ever bottled this and have a oz/gal of priming sugar (dextrose) amount? if not, ill just use what's recommended for wheat ales.

4] anyone have a rough estimate of abv?...i know, similar to adding bourbon to a beer, the lemonade addition is gunna throw off the abv calc. there is a way to calculate for it but I don't know remember how I did it with my previous beers where I had secondary fermentation after fruit additions.

this smells amazing already in the fermenter. I used a bit more orange zest and its definitely helping- great citrus aroma.

Besides being less floculent, what about using Danstar Munich for the primary yeast and 3068 for the blood orange yeast? Do you think the banana flavor would be too much with these yeasts? I only ask because I have a Munich yeast cake from a weizenbock and stored 3068, so I wouldn't have to buy anything or make a starter.

I would imagine it would be a little too bannana for me, but why not experiment!

Back