what is your favorite beer quote?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Say for what were hop yards meant
And why was Burton built on Trent?"

"And malt does more than Milton can
To glorify god's ways to man"

A. E. Houseman; Shropshire Lad

“Bars in the daytime are like women without makeup.” - Lady Snowblood (1973)

Det. Lt. Nick Frescia: Generally I recommend my men stay away from vodka, and stick with scotch and bourbon [and beer].
Jo Ann: Why is that?
Nick Frescia: So the brass will know they're drunk and not stupid.

I used to have this as my signature:

“A glass of bitter or pale ale, taken with the principal meal of the day, does more good and less harm than any medicine the physician can prescibe.”
— Dr. S. Carpenter, England, 1750
---------

Incorporating two brands and two expletives (courtesy of David Lynch's "Blue Velvet"):

"F*** that Heineken s***! Pabst Blue Ribbon!"

Just came across this one about home brewing from Michael Pollan:

Along the way, a succession of “fermentos” tutored me in the techniques of
artfully managing rot, the folly of the modern war against bacteria,
the erotics of disgust, and the somewhat upside-down notion that,
while we were fermenting alcohol, alcohol has been fermenting us.

I've taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me.
- Sir Winston Churchill

Sit, be still, and listen: because you're drunk, and we're at the edge of the roof.
-Rumi

My lips got lost on the way to the kiss - that's how drunk I was.
-Rumi

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
-Ernest Hemingway

Religions change; beer & wine remain.
-Henry Allen

We are here to drink beer.
We are here to kill war.
We are here to laugh at the odds an live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
- Charles Bukowski

Sounds bad. With any luck I hope I will be drunk enough that I don't notice.
- Douglas Adams

Dont remember which one, but a member of the old Augusta Ga punk band, The Decrepits, once said: "I drink anything that has beer in it"

“Hermit hoar, in solemn cell, wearing out life’s evening gray. Smite thy bosom, sage, and tell, what is bliss, and which the way? Thus I spoke, and speaking sighed, scarce repressed a starting tear. When the smiling sage reply’d, come, my lad, and drink some beer.” — Samuel Johnson

That one made it into my thesis pertaining to molecular genetics almost 30 years ago.

“Hermit hoar, in solemn cell, wearing out life’s evening gray. Smite thy bosom, sage, and tell, what is bliss, and which the way? Thus I spoke, and speaking sighed, scarce repressed a starting tear. When the smiling sage reply’d, come, my lad, and drink some beer.” — Samuel Johnson

That one made it into my thesis pertaining to molecular genetics almost 30 years ago.

+1
Well done.
This was my fav quote too (posted two pages back on Page 8)

41p178Q86cL.jpg

Cliff Clavin to Norm Peterson ...

"Well ya see, Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells.

"Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine; which is why you always feel smarter after a few beers."

images

"Beer is not the answer, it is the question. Yes is the answer!"

Beer?
Yes!

So a guy wearing a t-shirt with this on it at a Beer Festival that I went to in Atlanta a couple months ago.

God created alcohol to keep the Irish from taking over the World.

Braddock: "Winston, you are drunk, and what's more you are disgustingly drunk. "
Churchill: "Bessie, my dear, you are ugly, and what's more, you are disgustingly ugly. But tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be disgustingly ugly.

Mmmmmm Beer
Homer

Aside from Denny Conn's, "Life begins at 60 --1.060", I love a sign that a great friend gave me. "Give us this day our daily brew."

Back