Countdown to the Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKBrew

Reaction score
Within the next two hours, I should be steeping grains and getting started. There is a ton of prep-work involved.

Made the starter last night.

Went and got water and propane for the grill today (Going to use Bobby_M's boil on the grill method).

Still need to make up a bucket of sanitizer, gather ingredients, and clean my new wort chiller.

One of the few things where the work is worth it.

I just love "watching" someone else brew.

Good luck. What are you brewing today?

I just did 10 gallons of SNPA clone on Friday. Exhausting, but I'm already looking forward to my next brew next Saturday.

As I type I'm sitting infront of my current 6.5 gallon boil, 15 minutes in. I might have to boil it a bit longer to get it down to 5.5ish. I mashed a little hotter than I wanted to, but its a PM, so I'm not counting on the mash to give me all that much fermentables, hopefully I didn't overdo the other grains there. Good luck on your brew!

I'm making a pale ale. Basically I came up with the recipe on my own and then entered it into Beer Tools and tweaked it a bit to fit style guidelines.

Using
1 lb Caramel 40L (Steeped)
1/2 lb Caramunich (62L Steeped)

6lbs Light DME

Cascade and Willamette Hops

White Labs Edinburgh Ale Yeast.

I'm looking to start drinking this beer in about a month, so I plan to skip the secondary and bottle in 10-14 days.

My 4.5 gallons of steeping grains/water has been sitting on the gas grill for over an hour. Still only about 140 degrees. I've messed around with the radiant plates in the bottom and have tried to direct the heat with aluminum foil.

I was expecting a much faster boil. Next major investment is going to be a turkey burner.

McKBrew said:
My 4.5 gallons of steeping grains/water has been sitting on the gas grill for over an hour. Still only about 140 degrees. I've messed around with the radiant plates in the bottom and have tried to direct the heat with aluminum foil.

I was expecting a much faster boil. Next major investment is going to be a turkey burner.

Do you have a lid on it? That can help a lot.

I thought about that, but remember reading how covering the pot could lead to DMS build-up, etc... Maybe I misunderstood the concept.

Stuck the lid on partway, and now I'm up to 175. Time for me to RDWHAS(store)B, because my homebrew is on the grill.

Once you get it to a boil, then you can take the lid off. You want to boil off the DMS, but you want it to get to a boil! I just bought a turkey fryer last week- haven't yet fired it up but am looking forward to it. I've been boiling on my stove top. Now, I want to buy a keggle and do 10 gallon batches. It never ends! :cross:

I thought about it some more and decided to move my wort to my gas smoker. Stockpot fits great and the bottom of the pan is closer to the heat. I think I was losing alot of heat through the grill and that is part of the problem. Plus the pan just wasn't close enough.

What's even better is I can shut the door to the smoker and build up alot more heat.

100_3357.jpg

Yooper Chick said:
Once you get it to a boil, then you can take the lid off. You want to boil off the DMS, but you want it to get to a boil! I just bought a turkey fryer last week- haven't yet fired it up but am looking forward to it. I've been boiling on my stove top. Now, I want to buy a keggle and do 10 gallon batches. It never ends! :cross:
Come to the 10-gallon dark side Yooper San.....uh....but buy some more cornies first.

Done. Yeast added and hopefully fermenting away soon. Now the clean-up begins.

BTW immersion chillers rock. From boiling to pitching temperature in less than 10min.

Back