Help needed with toolbox-mounted pump build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weirdboy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys & gals,

I am currently working on building a setup for my pump with a toolbox enclosure. Other than the fact that I seem to have lost my electrical tape, things are going relatively well so far on the build in terms of wiring and whatnot.

What I am worried about is the pump that I'm using is not your standard March 809 series. I am instead using a pump I got on eBay (a GRI 17651 series that I think I paid maybe $40 for). The input and output on this pump are 1/2" hose barbs instead of threaded connections.

Because they are hose barbs on the pump, I'm sort of at a loss as to how I can easily mount a valve to this contraption, in addition to setting this up to use QD's or camlocks in such a way that I can connect/disconnect the hoses without too much trouble. The only idea that comes to mind is to run short lengths of hose to threaded connectors that I mount or clamp onto the toolbox as well. Is there some magical hose barb->threaded connector that I am unaware of, or maybe some other way to do this that I'm not thinking of?

Hey guys & gals,

I am currently working on building a setup for my pump with a toolbox enclosure. Other than the fact that I seem to have lost my electrical tape, things are going relatively well so far on the build in terms of wiring and whatnot.

What I am worried about is the pump that I'm using is not your standard March 809 series. I am instead using a pump I got on eBay (a GRI 17651 series that I think I paid maybe $40 for). The input and output on this pump are 1/2" hose barbs instead of threaded connections.

Because they are hose barbs on the pump, I'm sort of at a loss as to how I can easily mount a valve to this contraption, in addition to setting this up to use QD's or camlocks in such a way that I can connect/disconnect the hoses without too much trouble. The only idea that comes to mind is to run short lengths of hose to threaded connectors that I mount or clamp onto the toolbox as well. Is there some magical hose barb->threaded connector that I am unaware of, or maybe some other way to do this that I'm not thinking of?

Can you post a picture?
The only thing I can think of is to run a short piece of hose to another barb, to get you back to a threaded connection.

OK, here's my best attempt at a photo. Please forgive all the white spots on there; I'm in the middle of making a couple loaves of bread and managed to get flour all over it.

The inlet is the one that sticks straight out, and the outlet is the one sticking up. They are both 1/2" barb connectors.

Another idea I had, assuming I absolutely have to use bits of hose to get this working, is to mount the pump entirely inside the toolbox (I'd get another), and use hoses to extend to barb/threaded fittings that I would mount on the walls.

2010_07_04_toolbox_pump_01.jpg

OK, here's my best attempt at a photo. Please forgive all the white spots on there; I'm in the middle of making a couple loaves of bread and managed to get flour all over it.

The inlet is the one that sticks straight out, and the outlet is the one sticking up. They are both 1/2" barb connectors.

Another idea I had, assuming I absolutely have to use bits of hose to get this working, is to mount the pump entirely inside the toolbox (I'd get another), and use hoses to extend to barb/threaded fittings that I would mount on the walls.

Using hose to another barb to get yur threads is going to pretty much be your only option there.

Is that thing rated for temperature?

It's just a shame you mounted the pump to the wall of the tool box. If you had mounted it totally inside the tool bix it would have been easy to solve with a bulkhead mount ball valve.

Well as I said, I can get a new toolbox as they are pretty cheap.

I actually have some 3-piece 316 SS ball valves that I can mount using some L-braces, I think. Actual panel-mount ball valves are extremely expensive on McMaster...I'd be better off just buying another pump with threaded fittings rather than buying that stuff.

Looking at this some more, what I might do is just do what is essentially two separate "weldless bulkhead" style setups where I run to hose nipples like these inside and *maybe* connect straight to the Type A threaded camlock fittings from Pro Flow (these) on the other side. Although, I'm not sure if those fittings are long enough for the arms to fully open if I do that.

Back