Spaten Munich Dunkel as an ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strangebrew

Reaction score
Would it be possible to brew an (extract) Munich Dunkel as an ale? I had a Spaten Dunkel yesterday and I would like to replicate this at home. Unfortunately I don’t have lager capacity with my setup.

Just substitute a clean fermenting ale yeast for lager yeast. It wouldn't be true to style, but fermenting relatively cool with some aging time could produce a nice dunkel-like ale I suppose.

I would highly recommend Rogue's Pacman strain for this purpose; it's clean and finishes malty and replaced the lager yeast that Rogue used to use for Deadguy.

I've really been considering doing a number of beers that use english malts but lager yeast and German hops, and german malts but english ale yeast and english hops.

I think an english dark mild ale grist fermented with a lager strain and a munich dunkel lager grist fermented with an english ale strain would be pretty interesting. -Especially targeting a 4.5% ABV ish gravity for each. I think you could produce a VERY passable and interesting dark mild and a very passable munich dunkel this way. (Might have to decrease the gravity on the mild to 4.1% ABV, though.)

-I also have to think that a 3.9%-4.1% ABV dark mild ale could really benefit from the increased maltiness of a decoction although I'm afraid that it would increase attenuation, which would NOT be good for a mild...

Adam

Use a Kolsch yeast strain. That should produce a "lager-like" ale for you.

If you want to brew a lager style that finishes dry (like a pilsner, for instance), Nottingham works pretty well when fermented in the low 60s.

OP - what is the coolest fermentation temperature you can achieve?

I use Wyeast 1007 German Ale for my pseudo lagers, and it works great! Slow to flocculate though, but it is really clean even around 65 degrees.

Back