Grains of Paradise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

culaslucas

Reaction score
So my LHBS doesn't have this and I need it for a brew tomorrow - think the grocery stores will have this? If not, any ideas where I could find it ASAP?

That's funny, usually I have sent cooks on other non brewing forums to LHB's to buy GOP's for recipe that cal for it, because it really isn't a common spice to people other than brewers.

You will need to call around to specialty markets, especially ethnic ones, or high end gourmet ones (maybe a world marketplace, if there's one in Colorado, but they might not even have it.).

Is there a big West African community, or african community of any type near you, the spice is really only used in african cooking, and evidently Alton Brown does an okra and tomatoes recipe that calls for it.

I warn you, if you can't find it in a homebrew shop, or an ethnic market you willbe paying big bucks for it. It's really an expensive spice, and therefore if you find it in a high end market you will pay through the nose...but if you find it in an african market, it will cost you less...Kinda like buying saffron...in most stores it is uber expensive, but if you go to an ethnic grocery, like a mexican mercado, you will pay less for it...it may be a lesser quality, but it will work fine for your purposes.

Ya, I just called Whole Foods - it's $8 for 2.5 oz - I only need less than 2 grams....I'll do some calling around to ethnic stores - thanks for the tip Revvypedia.

Since the big brew tomorrow has a saison in the suggested recipes I figure GOP is gonna be in short supply at any HBS this weekend.....I was going to do the saison, but I've decided to go a different route, for the very reason....I figure the yeast and the gop's are going to be gone before I get my stuff tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies - I guess my LHBS DOES HAVE it but last time I was in there I didn't see it and the guy working was SOOOOOOO high, he had no idea what was going on...

Look at their logo: Stomp Them Grapes! LLC and Hop To It Homebrew! (the one on the right for Hop To It), looks like South Park. The guy reminded me of Towlie.

towlie2.jpg

Back