Pale malt vs. Pilsner malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andre the giant

Reaction score
I want to brew another batch of my blueberry ale since people love it, and it's rapidly dissapearing. Here's the problem. I don't have the same ingredients, nor do I have the same yeast. And I want to brew this weekend, so there's no time to get the proper ingredients shipped in. (there is no LHBS)

The original Blueberry ale was basically a pale ale with blueberry flavor. Something like 8 lbs of pale malt, a little Munich, easy on the hops, with wy1028 london ale yeast and a shot of blueberry extract in the secondary.

All I have right now is 10 lbs of Pilsner malt, Munich malt, hops, American ale yeast and blueberrry extract.

How do you guys think the substitution of Pilsner malt for Pale malt, and American ale yeast for London ale yeast will effect the flavor of the base beer?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

The Pil malt may let the color (if there is any) of the extract show a bit more since it'll be lighter in SRM but I think the change in flavour will be very suble if detecable at all.

The yeast will have a more noticable affect on the taste of the brew.

I agree with my buxom Canadian amigo. There might be a subtle shift in the malt flavor, but that should really be smashed by the yeast and esp. blueberry flavors.

You could always try decocting it...;)

Back