Gelatin went PLOP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theCougfan97

Reaction score
Is it suppose to congeal after I let it cool down? I added the tablespoon of gelatin to warm water, let sit for 20, microwaved it, shook it up, looked crystal clear, let it sit some more, then poured it into my carboy. The last step there is when I heard (and saw) a plopping of congealed gelatin. Will my beer now have freely floating jello in it?

Most likely it got too hot in the microwave. Here's what I do (shamelessly stolen from some other post):

For a 5 gallon batch of beer, add 5 grams of gelatin to 10 ounces of water, cover it, and let it sit for an hour (to bloom). Then, gently heat it up and stir to dissolve the gelatin. Heat to 150 - 160. Do not go over 160 degrees. Then, do not let the gelatin cool to under 120 degrees before adding it to your beer. In other words, the gelatin solution should be between 120 and 160 degrees when you add it to your beer and mix it in. Mix it into the beer gently for 2 to 3 minutes.

Edit: I am guessing the gelatin will settle out and you'll be fine.

Yea, you overheated the gelatin and made jello. The heat needs to be just enough to pasteurize and dissolve the crystals. It won't clear your beer, but it won't hurt anything either.

Back