Keggle dip tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sa1126

Reaction score
I have two feet of 1/2" diameter copper tubing and plan to buy a 3 piece ball valve. Does anyone know what compression fittings I'll need to get it all put together? Do you need to use teflon tape?

Thanks!

I think I'm getting the jargon down. So I need a weldless bulkhead (which will be physically attached to the keg and then will attach my valve to the bulkhead and then whatever to the coupler on the inside? Hope I'm getting this right :D

You need a full coupling welded in your keggle or a weldless kit with a coupling. Then you will need a whatever size NPT thread on one side of your compression fitting then the other side is your 1/2" compression fitting. See the link below. It is to be used if your coupling is 1/2" NPT.

http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=36_56&product_id=170

Yes, the coupling will either be welded, or weldless. Ball valve on the outside, and compression fitting on the inside.

Yes, the coupling will either be welded, or weldless. Ball valve on the outside, and compression fitting on the inside.

Pardon, but i dont quite get it.

Would it be something like this:

Ball valve>SS flat round thing i forgot the name>silicon gasket>(Keg Wall)>CENTER PICKUP - WELDLESS VERSION DRAIN / DIP TUBE SS KIT

Or inbetween all that i have to insert a bulk head of any type?

Sorry for the intrusion but i'm sorcing my list of itens and this is REALLY bugging me!!:confused:

Pardon, but i dont quite get it.

Would it be something like this:

Ball valve>SS flat round thing i forgot the name>silicon gasket>(Keg Wall)>CENTER PICKUP - WELDLESS VERSION DRAIN / DIP TUBE SS KIT

Or inbetween all that i have to insert a bulk head of any type?

Sorry for the intrusion but i'm sorcing my list of itens and this is REALLY bugging me!!:confused:

What you are showing could be used weldless or welded. What you are calling a bulkhead is called a full coupling in a welded set up or can be an oring set up if weldless. Hope this helps. Google keggles and check out the images. This should help with the confusion.

What you are showing could be used weldless or welded. What you are calling a bulkhead is called a full coupling in a welded set up or can be an oring set up if weldless. Hope this helps. Google keggles and check out the images. This should help with the confusion.

Thanks for the info, but I'm afraid I still doesn't understand it. I'm building a weldless system, And since I decided to use dip tubes and a false bottom I'm having trouble understanding how the dip tube attaches itself to the keggle and to the counterpart (ball valve, in this case).

In a weldless setup, which parts are usually used to connect the dip tube to de rest of the apparatus while maintaining good seal? If not much trouble, could you direct me to a source or tutorial to see how those things are placed? I did search through the web, but all videos and tutorials I found skipped this part, as if It everybody already knew how to do it hehehe

Thanks for the info, but I'm afraid I still doesn't understand it. I'm building a weldless system, And since I decided to use dip tubes and a false bottom I'm having trouble understanding how the dip tube attaches itself to the keggle and to the counterpart (ball valve, in this case).

In a weldless setup, which parts are usually used to connect the dip tube to de rest of the apparatus while maintaining good seal? If not much trouble, could you direct me to a source or tutorial to see how those things are placed? I did search through the web, but all videos and tutorials I found skipped this part, as if It everybody already knew how to do it hehehe
http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=91

What you are calling a bulkhead, is actually called a full coupling as far as plumbing fittings are concerned. What you are calling a coupling, is a piece of the compression fitting. The side you pointed at has the NPT threads on it, and the other piece is the nut on the compression fitting. If I recall, the small piece inside that actually grips the tubing is called a ferrule. I think the nomenclature you used was part of the confusion. It looks like you got the right setup. Good luck!

What you are calling a bulkhead, is actually called a full coupling as far as plumbing fittings are concerned. What you are calling a coupling, is a piece of the compression fitting. The side you pointed at has the NPT threads on it, and the other piece is the nut on the compression fitting. If I recall, the small piece inside that actually grips the tubing is called a ferrule. I think the nomenclature you used was part of the confusion. It looks like you got the right setup. Good luck!

Right on, I'll upload a new pic tomorrow for everyone. Thanks for the clarification.

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/KETTLEVALVE--P2374C141.aspx

Here is what he was referring to. It accomplishes the same thing your setup did, it jut does not have the dip tube and compression fitting.

Thanks.

I went to home depot this evening and now that I have an idea of what I would have needed, I could have done it quite cheaper using brass parts. I don't know if that is frowned upon but it would have been cheaper.

Brass is ok as long as it is lead free. If it is used for water it is typically ok for beer. Stainless is just a slight upgrade and is much more durable. It will last a long time and look nice while doing so. Brass will tarnish, but it doesnt bother anything. I prefer stainless on anything that touches my beer.

Brass is ok as long as it is lead free. If it is used for water it is typically ok for beer. Stainless is just a slight upgrade and is much more durable. It will last a long time and look nice while doing so. Brass will tarnish, but it doesnt bother anything. I prefer stainless on anything that touches my beer.

Right on. I suppose it is a better investment to not have to worry about replacing parts every year.

I still plan to attempt my own false bottom for my other keg next go around.

Back