fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coreman76

Reaction score
Hey guys, had a lil problem with my heat at home and it dipped below 60 and so my batches I have going dropped below 62 and got cold. Should I reset my time tables for the fermenting process?

Time tables? Forget them! Yeast have no concept of time. They do there thing according to the environment they live in. It's possible they slowed down (probable) but if they were at full speed, it may not be much. They make their own heat!

To be honest, I rarely ferment above above 62 anymore. (depends on the yeast and the style of beer) so it might be fine. Which yeast did you use

In the end the best thing is to let it ride, then take a hydrometer reading and see where the fermentation is at. It may have changed, meaning it might take a bit longer. On the bright side, that might actually be a BETTER temperature for that yeast! If the majority of the primary fermentation is over, then you can safely bring it up to 70 ish for a couple of days to clean up.

By time tables I mean, I usually let the beer/yeast ferment for 2-3 weeks. The temp change was in the middle of that time period. I have a Canadian ale w/a liquid yeast and an IPA w/a dry brewing yeast. All the info you stated I have read as well, just wanted some more explanation. Thank you.

Back