Possible Keg Issue - How to fix?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briandickens

Reaction score
I was cleaning out my keg last night. I haven't used it in a few years (took a break to move and get married) but now I have a beer ready to go in. So I filled it with PBW solution and let it sit. Before going to sleep I put some pressure on it to see if the gaskets would hold. Just pretty much hit it with about 20psi so the haskets would close and shook it around. The led held, but I got some leakage around the out tube. Just a very little bit of solution coming out. Can I fix this? I seem to remember this happening when I used it a few years ago, but my fix at the time was to just hook it up to the faucet and assume nothing would go wrong. But ideally, it wouldn't leak at all.

So, what steps should I take? Is it enough to just replace the gaskets? Should I replace the poppet also? Will keg lube work? Can I buy the tool I need to remove the valves at home depot or do they need to be special ordered?

I have another keg. I am going to check it tonight to see if it holds.

The other thing that concerned me was that this morning the keg was no longer under pressure. I just assumed that was from the CO2 going into solution. When I picked these kegs up from my old roommate's house where they'd been sitting untouched for the past two years, this keg was still holding pressure, so I'm not that worried about it. But the leaky out tube is bothersome.

Thanks in advance.

If the leak comes from around the poppet top then it is most likely the poppet gasket itself. You can try removing the poppett, cleaning it, lubing it (lightly), and reinstalling.
To remove it you don't need any special tools, just take the fitting off with a wrench or channel locks, set it on a flat surface as it sits on the keg (threaded side down), and push the center poppet circle down with a screwdriver. It may take some force if the keg has been sitting dry, but it will come. After reinstalling if it still leaks, you can buy a new poppet for $2.50.

I'll give that a shot. Need to find a wrench to fit in there. I'll also need keg lube. I don't think I have any. I think I may even have a new gasket to put in there that I never used because I never took it apart.

Yeah, I'd replace the poppet and see if that solves your problem. I would also recommend replacing all the o-rings since it has been sitting for a while.

I use a regular adjustable wrench to get my posts off, a few turns and I can manage the rest by hand.

If not the above, then probably the dip tube gasket/o-ring. They seem to flatten out quite quickly on my kegs.

Ball locks use standard socket wrenches. Pin locks require a slotted socket, but they can be removed with box wrenches.

Since your keg has been sitting for a few years, I'd just get an o-ring set and replace all of them. Poppets do fail, but not as often as o-rings.

For anyone wondering, I took apart the out post yesterday and sure enough, the gasket was flat. I didn't have a spare on me so i flipped it over, lubed it, and put it back together. So far it's holding, but I want to replace the gasket before I go and put beer into it.

Thanks for all of your help.

Back