New Zealand Hops...the best of the best

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldWorld

Reaction score
I don't see a reason to use an American hop again. New Zealand hops have given me consistent quality in all of my beers. The earthly botanical character of New Zealand hops is vastly superior to the American varieties...

Don't believe me...try a New Zealand Casade in place of domestic. You'll see a big difference.

While I love my American hops, I am finding this to be somewhat true in regard to the complexities of New Zealand and even Aussie hops. Some varities cannot be compared because the counterpart does not exist in the US or NZ but I have ben supremely impressed with NZ hops that I can compare to others. Hops like Galaxy and Nelson Sauvin are amazing IMO.

Galaxy < Citra

Comparable, but not equal. Not to mention that Amarillo, Simcoe, Citra, and Centennial are the leading hops by far, which are used in 90% of the top rated IPAs/IIPAs in one combination or another.

America has this in the bag.

FYI - This is the same troll who said that Stone Ruination 10th Anniv. was a sucky mess of an IIPA and that Russian River uses genetically modified grain.

Galaxy < Citra

Comparable, but not equal.

America has this in the bag.

FYI - This is the same troll who said that Stone Ruination 10th Anniv. was a sucky mess of an IIPA and that Russian River uses genetically modified grain.[/QUOTE

I might be the only one who is not a fan of Citra- too sweet to my palate but I love Galaxy.

FYI- I wasn't aware that this was a troll.

FYI- Isn't trolling doing just what you did? Or not?

Let's not let this thread get out of control here about trolls on the forum. Not everyone thinks the same thing about every beer or hop variety.

That said, I can't wait to try my New Zealand hopped IPA. I wanted Nelson Sauvin but couldn't get my hands on them so I went with Green Bullet and Pacific Jade I believe. Next up I have a Pale Ale with Galaxy I want to try.

Most of the NZ hops I've tried I thoroughly enjoyed, though they are no substitute for the intense citrus and pine flavors of American hops.

Actually, I find most NZ hops to be pretty similar to their wines. Delicate, lemony, slightly herbal, and pleasant. Still waiting to try a big IPA with all NZ/Australian hops though.

I've got an IPA coming up that's using Citra and Galaxy (alone with Amarillo and Cascade). I cant tell you how excited I am to brew it.

Meh, I do like the new Zealand hops I have tried, but never see any reason to limit myself to just one country.

No reason at all to limit yourself to hops from one country. I don't know why anyone would suggest otherwise.

As for NZ Hops, I tried Riwaka hops and didn't like them. I'm hoping to try some others in the future.

I have tried Nelson Sauvin and Motueka. And Galaxy but technically that is a australian hop. I find those to be super fruity. Not bad but don't know if I would want them in every beer I drink. Also used Pacifica and it seemed to be pretty mild and in line with most noble hops.

Personally I've only tried Rakau and really disliked it. I want to try out Galaxy, and I do have 4 oz of Pacifica that I may just use in a simple pale ale.

I just started a very NZ-heavy Belgian wheat. I tossed 1 oz. Motueka in about five minutes into the boil, then 1 oz of Wakatu about 45 minutes in.

Today is the third day of fermentation, and I gotta tell you, the scent coming out of that airlock is the best I've ever smelled while homebrewing. We'll have to wait and see how the bittering and head retention is, but aroma-wise, the New Zealanders knocked this one out of the park.

That said... I don't know if I would use NZ hops for something a little more subdued, like a brown ale or a laid-back porter, nor would these be my go-to for something like a IIPA or CDA. There's a hop for every beer, and a beer for every hop, it just so happens that most of the beers I like to drink and brew are right for New Zealander hops.

Back