building a shed - thinking about brewing plans...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrislehr

Reaction score
If you were to build a shed, and plan on maybe adding brewing stuff later, what would you want/look for?

I am wondering about...
- electricity
- plumbing
- drainage

The biggest of which is drainage... wood subfloor with tile? concrete with a drain? What waste water planning do I need? Separate hot water heater? Boil all water? electric or gas ranges? planning that?

I need the shed more for storage now, but want to plan in my options as much as possible - if I can do all my brew work out there, that would be ideal. Thinking a max of 10x12 for space, and need to store things like lawnmower, tiller, etc as well (which many of you will say are unsanitary and I need to plan a separate room, but I still want your opinions.. i might do just that to accommodate)

if youre boiling all the water you shouldnt need a water heater separate. id think if you go with a laminate floor you could spray and squeegie the floor clean out the door(just an idea) and remember if you are using a propane burner indoors that you have sufficient ventilation. as long as the lawnmower and such arent coming in contact with your brewing supplies you shouldnt need a seperate room. as for electricity it will depend what you are running. when you choose everything electrical then you can think of gauges of wires make sure you get proper wires

I agree that I'd want something I can hose down and not mess up in the long run as far as the floor goes. I also don't see a need for a water heater. A good 2 tub utility sink would go a long way along with ample cabinet storage. Maybe some old kitchen cabinets. Electricity is obviously a good thing, but I have found using gas for heating water is faster and easier to control the temperature of the mash/wort/boil. Good ventilation would be key, but so would good insulation. Assuming you will be doing your fermenting and aging out there, having an area that can hold a steady temp is key. You could make the whole shed more temperature stable, or you could just get an old fridge to put out there.

yeah if you do gas and are only running a few electronics in there you could probably get a decent grade wire and run it like an extention cord from your house. as far as fermentation goes im thinking if you wanted an idea maybe a bench seat that the lid lifts up and with some sort of cooling it could be a bench/work table /fermentation chamber. or you could insulate one of those old kitchen cabnets that iron city mentioned and insulate and cool it for fermentation

If you are using gas to heat everything, I would get natural gas plumbed in to the shed. As for electrical get at least 2 20 amp circuits wired in. This way you can have a lagering fridge, a refrigeration unit for serving and an outlet or two for lights, stereo and lap top.

Back