Crystal Substitute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNBugeater

Reaction score
I order almost exclusivly from Northern Brewer, only because I can get ingredients/equipment next from UPS living in Minnesota where they are located.

I am looking to order Crystal 10L and 40L but dont see it in there catalog or on-line. However they have Caramel 10L, 20L, 40L, 60L, etc. I see several Crystal Malts but not in the Lovibond levels available.

Im not opposed to ordering my grains from somewhere else. But my main question is... Are Caramel Malts and Crystal Malts equivilant or are they uniquely different if Iwere to use Caramel 10L and Crystal 10L, etc?

Can I substitute Caramel 10L for Crystal 10L, or is that a different ingredient ?

Thanks

MNBugeater

Yep, they're the same thing these days. According to Noonan there used to be a difference in how they were processed and what they contributed, but most maltsters seem to disregard that these days.

Back