Crazy brews - 7 days 7 brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My second day brew is under way but had a problem with my starter. I had not racked my skeeter pee and am not really ready to do so yet so tried to siphon off the bottom and make a starter but after over 24 hours there was absolutly no fermentation in my starter or day one brew. So I am on plan two.... I had a different small 1 liter batch that was extra must made up of a Ginger mead with Lalvin 1116 & was going to use this to top off after racking but since there was a small yeast cake there. I drained off the still young and musty must and used that cake of yeast as a starter. Now waiting to see if it takes off and then will re-pitch into the marshmallow wine and into the next wine I have:

Franks Red Hot Original sauce wine!

Same 53 fl oz su bee bottle
3 fl oz of Franks Red Hot
1 drop of home made "Ghost chili Mad dog 750000 scouville unit hot sauce)
3/4 cup of sugar.

This one should light some fires!

Saramc honeysuckle wine sounds really good.

LOL hot sauce wine- takes hot alcohol bite to a whole new meaning

Attaching Day 1....jujube

ForumRunner_20121009_171638.png

Updating pics....day 2 creation is honeysuckle wine, which I have to say makes the most excellent tea, iced or hot...very fragrant. O.G. 1.080,.EC-1118

ForumRunner_20121010_003435.png

Announcing today's creation, day 3, 10/9...peanut butter and jam wine. A unique use of peanut butter by using a product called PB2, which is made from roasted peanuts and has 85% less fat(just 1.5gm fat and 5gm protein per serving size of 2 tbsp) than traditional peanut butter. It is a powder and is also known as peanut flour. I just happen to always have PB2 in my pantry for inclusion in sports shakes for my guys and for the special meal replacement shakes I like to throw together for myself. Find best price on Amazon!!
This wine also incorporates Smucker's Strawberry preserves. Using EC-1118 and aiming for an O.G. of 1.075-1.085

ForumRunner_20121010_004507.png

ForumRunner_20121010_004656.png

Day 4, 10/10....cucumber mint wine, 2L batch....1 lb of thinly sliced cucumbers-unpeeled, 1 cup fresh mint(combo of peppermint, spearmint, orange mint), 2 cups sugar, pour bouling water over all and allow to steep for a minimum of four hours, then strain and proceed with ferment. Will use EC-1118 yeast.
Sorry for duplicate photo.

ForumRunner_20121010_165735.png

ForumRunner_20121010_165818.png

Wow guys i feel terrible, i started this post however so far haven't done any due to a family funeral and lots of other things coming up at the wrong time.
I am planning on making this an ongoing thing so maybe post 1 post with all 7 brews at the end of their period.
I will start mine as soon as things as soon as i have 2 seconds.
Thanks
stocky_s

It okay stocky I stuck at work right now have note been able to complete last two days ill be jumping on it tomorrow it looks like

I had to stop with Day 5: Coconut Spice (photos pending) due to emergency Thursday afternoon and just got home today. Exhausted, have to turn around and go out of town in three days related to same emergency. Will be delayed in reporting, sorry.

Update...I did not go back out of town, not feeling good so I am hanging at home. I started Wine#6...a coffee wine.

I cold brewed for five days, one cup each of freshly ground Newman's Own Special Dark and. Kona Vanilla Macadamia Nut then strained, added a simple syrup made of one cup each granulated and packed light brown sugar, topped up with water until S.G. hit 1.080...wee bit over 2 liters.

There is no way these will be appropriate for tasting on Sunday...though the honeysuckle really is nice, and cucumber-mint is pleasant, the jujube is liquid gold. Coconut Spice makes me slobber. The PB&J is clearing!! 90 days will be interesting.

Now have to come up with #7, just so I can say I pulled it off. Thinking....

Photo time...
Day 6 Coffee wine, three photos of what it looked like this morning. It looked like grounds had accumulated as the cap, but it was a fake out...ran a mini mesh trainer thru the cap and just yeast and coffee, stirred and it settled down to white foam.

View attachment 80289

ForumRunner_20121020_123957.png

ForumRunner_20121020_123942.png

ForumRunner_20121020_123916.png

Forgot about Day 7..

Fruitcake LemonDropPepper Wine

Used, you got it, the fruit used in fruitcake making that was in my pantry...citron, lemon, cherries plus ten frozen lemon drop peppers. Forgot to wear gloves as I deseeded, and within the hour the fingers on left hand were swollen to twice their size, and still painful and slightly swollen 15 hours later. I have had to take benadryl every six hours, slather in aloe courtesy of my aloe plant, and ice intermittently...will never repeat that incident. Those little lemon drops look so innocent!! All for the love of wine.

ForumRunner_20121020_125218.png

Ok, I am updating! All seven of my wine using EC-1118, with the same OG, are clear now, and just a taste after racking and I suspect they will all be good.
Here is the rundown, in order started.
1. Jujube wine, aka Chinese red dates.
2. Dried honeysuckle flower
3. Peanut Butter and Jelly
4. Cucumber Mint
5. Coconut Spice
6. Coffee
7. Fruitcake Lemon Drop Pepper...new name TuttiFrutti Lemon Drop Pepper

The strangest was the PB&J. It tastes so much like peanut butter that it is insane! There was a bit over 1/4 of the 2L in lees alone, but the wine was a light golden color, no rancid smell, taste was good. So after I racked I obviously had head space so I liquified (melted and dosed with double pectic enzyme) a pint of raspberry jelly and thinned with half a pint of water and then topped up the rest with raspberry juice made from FruitFast concentrate. So, it is back to fermenting as of this morning and will obviously have a bit more kick. I did not bother with updated SG reading after adding fruit, though it was at 0.999 after I removed the sludge.

Here was the original recipe for this 2L creation, of which I am sure the original fruit was lost in ferment, but I really did plan on adding fruit after racking gross lees. On 10/9/12...combine 9 tbsp PB2(roasted pnut flour), 7 tbsp raspberry jam/jelly that has been melted, pectic enzyme per pkg instructions, 1/2 cup sugar dissolved in minimal amt water taken from 1250ml water. Allow to rest a few hours, check SG and add sugar if needed to reach target. Top up with water. Pitch yeast, EC-1118, cover with paper towel for 5 days, then attach airlock or even a balloon.

The jujube wine tastes most outstanding, so fruity. The cucumber mint is well, like a cucumber...thinking of adding some mint syrup I make. The honeysuckle is soothing. The coffee needs age and is getting fortified with a homemade sweet toasted pecan liqueur, maybe. The tutti frutti pepper is hot, hot, hot but I can tell the fruit is there..jury undecided. The coconut spice is just flat out pleasant, and it will be backsweetened and served chilled...though, I am tempted to backsweeten with sucralose vs stevia and add a touch of fermentable and bottle carb this. In fact, some jujube may be sparkling! I feel all of these, minus the coffee wine, could be early birds, but I plan on aging for six months.

So, get yourself seven two or three liters and challenge yourself with what is in your house. Who knows what you will come up with. I never thought all of these would work out, especially the PB&J!
I was expecting to hear myself singing the 'I found a peanut' song throughout the house on any given day.

Brilliant work :). Thanks for keeping us updated. Would love to try some of these! This thread inspired me to seriously consider a chocolate chip cookie beer/wine - just got to find the time, and the unwanted cookies :O!

Back