Total Noob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arago

Reaction score
Hey guys, Well, my first post will probably bring a laugh, but I guess that's what happens when you're starting out. Might seem a ridiculous question, but here it is: How can I tell if my beer fermented?

I don't have one of those things to measure specific gravity. In retrospect I realize I didn't cool the wort. I never saw "violent fermentation" I didn't even see anything coming out of the airlock. A week into the process I threw in some more yeast and some yeast nutrient, and when I did there was a heck of a lot of commotion where I poured it in. But that was all. After that just a little froth on top. It's now been two weeks. Do I have something viable? Should I go ahead with the corn sugar and bottling, or throw it out and start over?

Other than that, I'm a great fan of Guinness and Sheaf Stout; I live fairly close to the Rogue Brewery and sometimes buy their stuff when it goes on sale. I've also tried my hand at growing gourmet mushrooms:got some Reishi to grow, but I'm in too cold a climate for them to flourish, unless I get a greenhouse. Uh, ok... I'm an aging surfer, teaching adolescents in an alternative school for my day job. At night, I facilitate groups for men court-ordered to attend domestic abuse classes. To garble a quote, after a day at work: "Malt does more than yoga can, to justify God's ways to man."

You will need a hydrometer to determine if the beer has fermented, especially if you have not seen signs of fermentation.You don't want to bottle to soon for fear of bottle bombs. How hot was the wort when you added the yeast?
Post the recipe so that we can determine what the hydrometer should read after fermentation.

Welcome. I love shotgun brewing. Who knows, but you may have just made the best ever...or not. Measuring the SG is the best way to know if it is done. Hydrometers are cheap. If you pitched hot the yeast probably weren't very happy. Not seeing bubbles for a few days isn't good, but I will differ the more experienced brewers.

How long ago did you brew this? sometimes it takes more than 24 hours for the fermentation to start.
What does the top of the beer look like Is there a ring of brown gunk on your fermenter just above the beer? If so it has fermented. It could be that your air lock didn't have a seal.

Welcome to the forum. :mug:

Back