Did I oxidize my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
So just kegged my beer and had a brain fart. I kegged, pressurized with co2, then I shook it like I normally do but never purged the keg after the initial burst of co2 to get rid of the oxygen. Am I screwed?

Yea, I'd say you did. You aren't screwed though. If you keep the keg refrigerated and don't plan to store it for a long time, you should be fine. As far as I know, oxidation flavors dont immediately happen. Its something that happens over time. It also happens faster at warm temperatures.

Also, it is much less liked to happen in live beer.

+1 on this. Yeast will eat up some of the O2. If this is for drinkin' and not for savin', you're probably going to be fine.

I'd purge the keg now if you haven't, just so whatever's in the headspace of the keg now gets out.

Ok, I'm hoping it works out then. Ya about 20 minutes after realizing what I had done, I purged the keg 3 times (2 extra for good measure).

Usually I finish a corny in about 2 months so I'll trust that I'll be ok.

Back