Broke my first hydrometer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SailorTodd

Reaction score
I wasn't even brewing. I wasn't even bottling. I had carelessly left it on the counter overnight from a kegging session. I came home this evening, threw the mail on the counter, knocking it and sending it rolling over the edge to the ground. It's my favorite hydrometer (that is, the only one I've ever owned). Two years of faithful service and now it's nothing but hazardous waste :(

Best part is? I placed an order earlier today from Midwest, and it's only just too late to adjust it.

If it's been shipped, yes. You can call them though.

You might as well buy them in bulk. I've broken two of mine in the past month, both during clean up. A wild elbow sent one crashing to the tile floor, and the other got bent/crushed in my utensil drawer by my oldest Daughter.

I feel you man I broke mine just as I was going to take og reading broke. It was like 10pm. So I called a buddy went to his house with some wort and got my reading!!! He actually had a spare and gave it to me whooohoooo

Ugh, broke my first one yesterday. Just slipped right out of my hand onto the counter, only about 3-4 inch drop. It looked fine at first, but then noticed the cracks at the base where the weight is...

And I had also just placed an order on Saturday. Tried calling today to add a new one, but it had already shipped. Should have thought about it yesterday, but I'll blame it on the homebrew :drunk:

I was going to say I've had the same one for 20 years, but then I'll probably break it later today just moving it from the counter to my brew stuff storage area

think I'm more afraid of breaking my glass non-graduated cylinder I use to test gravity*

*test gravity... thinking that would sound kinda funny to anyone who is not a brewer

I've broken 3 and now I'm on my fourth. It really sucks when you break it and don't realize it until you need.

The first one I ever bought was mysteriously broken before I got it home. I'm not sure if it was Luke that when I got it at the shop or it happend in travel. Thankfully I took it back on my next trip and they replaced it no problem. Ever since then I have kept mine it the original tube and wrapped up in a paper bag. Its the Brewers curse!!

Back