Brettanomyces and Nuts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldgenius2000

Reaction score
The brewer for Trinity brewing co indicated during an interview that it was important to include the pits and all of the cherry when making a kriek, apparently this is based on comments Michael Jackson made at some point, indicating that the pits would create some amaretto notes. Furthermore, in one Trinity's own beers, they aged the beer in barrels on cherries and almonds. While it hasn't been explicitly stated, does this mean that brett yeast has the capability of fermenting or somehow affecting nuts or do favors simply get extracted from the nut itself? Anyone have experience doing anything like this?

I made a kriek where I macerated the whole cherry (10#) including the pits, and let the beer sit on them for quite some time. I think the wort picks up some notes from the pits over time that contribute to the overall flavor profile. I haven't heard of adding almonds to do the same thing, though. I'm not an expert on this by any means, but I wonder if aging on almonds accelerates the process - the process of extracting the notes from the pits?

The cherry pits have an almond flavor, which is picked up by the beer. Nothing to do with the yeast action. Soak them in some rum or bourbon and you will get the same thing.

Back