Does beer lose ABV when hot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhoenixCoyote

Reaction score
Hello,
Not sure how to quote this in the title. When i had to move away, i gave all the beer i had to my bro and sis, 14 cases! Yes, it still hurts just thinking about it. But my sister said she had a couple cases in the garage, for almost a year (a year? Are you serious?). She stated she brought them inside, oh, this was in Phoenix too, so very hot in the garage. She put them in the fridge for a day then her and her husband drank a lot of them, but said they did not get buzzed with it. So, my question, does beer lose it's ABV if it gets too hot? I am thinking no. Either that or my sis is a pinhead because she is blond and probably had a 6 pack or more of her (shudder!) Coors Light before drinking mine.

Thanks for any opinions and replies in advance. In 6 days i am moving back to Phoenix, and will set up shop again as soon as possible! Thanks!

The alcohol in beer is ethanol, which is volatile. If you left an open glass of ethanol out overnight, yes it would evaporate. However, a bottle of beer is not an open vessel. There is nowhere for the ethanol to go. The headspace is already full of CO2, so it can't even go there. So no, the ABV will not change on storage.

Im no expert, but the warm conditions that the beer was kept in added energy to the system...its possible that the alcohol could have broken-down to acetaldehyde and ROS without the presence of enzymes...its possible, at least in theory.

Back