My first time using Star San.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julohan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have used Iodophor for the last 4 batches. I ran out, so I figured I try star san. With the foam I do feel like it is getting better sanitized. However, The foam that is left over in the corny worries me. I know don;t fear the foam. I don't know if I will be able to get over it. Right now I have my corny upside down hoping it will fall out, so I can rack my beer. I still have 31 ounces left. Right now, I wish I still had my iodophor. Maybe, by the end of the bottle, I will be converted.

I rack onto a heavy head of Starsan foam in the cornie all the time. The only bummer is its hard to see the level of the beer as it nears the top of the cornie.

When you see that column of foam rise up and out of the keg, think about how it's killing whatever airborne bacteria dare land on it, and sanitizing everything in it's path! I like that it's there, forming a protective barrier on the surface of my beer and keeping it safe until I can slap the lid on.

It's comfort foam. :D

+1 The foam is comfort, part of the coating action that helps SS cling to surfaces. Thousands of satisfied users can't be wrong. Don't fear the foam.

dontfearthefoam.jpg

just keep reminding yourself, it is a food grade no rinse sanitizer. The foam will only help when used at proper dilution.

that's it. I'm gonna mix up some star san and video myself drinking it (again) to show everyone its fine.

that's it. I'm gonna mix up some star san and video myself drinking it (again) to show everyone its fine.

but on the back of the container is says "If swallowed: Call a poison control center or doctor immediately for treatment advice. Do not induce vomiting unless told to do so by the poison control center or doctor."

Never understood that if its apparently perfectly safe.

but on the back of the container is says "If swallowed: Call a poison control center or doctor immediately for treatment advice. Do not induce vomiting unless told to do so by the poison control center or doctor."

Never understood that if its apparently perfectly safe.

Undiluted right out of the bottle, it's a very strong acid. Just ask anybody who has spilled it on their polished granite kitchen counter! I'm sure it would inflict nasty burns in your mouth and throat...inducing vomiting would just burn you again.

Diluted to the correct ratio, it's a very mild acid, comparable to a soda or glass of lemonade.

check Basic Brewing Radio for episode 3-29-07 ... Sanitizing with Bleach and Star San .... straight from the fella who introduced Star San .... all the info on bleach AND Star San sanitizing you'll EVER need....

and again, don't fear the foam!

LOL.. sorry.. I was just learning about star san :) and blindlemon's quote cracked me up while simultaneously causing me to lose all fear of the foam... quite effective.

Latest posts

Back