Now is the time to start planning the NHBC brews...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
..what are you doing?

I am entering at least 2 this year. A Lake Walk Pale Ale, and a Watermelon Wheat.

I'm planning on brewing them here in the next couple of weeks.

I'm curious to hear what you guys have planned and when you plan on brewing them to get them ready by the April send in date.

Well, I have a couple I've been thinking about. I think I am just a little intimidated by entering a contest. It's hard enough for me to send you guys a couple of beers to critique! I'm always afraid no one will like it!

I'm thinking that I'll brew tons in the next two weeks, and see what I like. I have a steam beer I'm doing again, and a Maibock that will be young in April, but ready by, well, May. The hops shortage had changed every one of my recipes! I'd like to do the DFH clone again but I'm not sure I can get all the hops I want.

So, probably the Maibock, and maybe an amber (a take off on the FT clone), and possibly the steam beer (california common). I have an all-chinook sort of AB thing that I might enter if I could figure out what style it would be.

I've got a few that I'll be sending in.

This also bring up another question about having beer ready for the conference. What (and who) are we going to brew to club night and how are we going to serve it?

ohiobrewtus said:

This also bring up another question about having beer ready for the conference. What (and who) are we going to brew to club night and how are we going to serve it?

With all of these people, we prolly have a legit shot at winning the biggest club award....and possibly the most beer kegs.

I'll start another thread on that.

ohiobrewtus said:

:off:
You know, I hate to suggest yet another new thread- but we need to do that. I've never been to a NHBC before, so I really need some ideas and guidance. What are we doing? Shirts? Club night? food? Beer?

I can bring a keg or two, but not my co2 tank and regulator. (Unless I can scrounge up another before then).

Dude- you've been there before (and I know a few others, too, of course) but could you help take the lead on some organizing or at least get us started? I have no idea what to expect, and I'm about 900 miles from Cincy.

EDIT- Dude is obviously gifted in ESP and knew what I was going to ask.

YooperBrew said:
:off:
You know, I hate to suggest yet another new thread- but we need to do that. I've never been to a NHBC before, so I really need some ideas and guidance. What are we doing? Shirts? Club night? food? Beer?

I can bring a keg or two, but not my co2 tank and regulator. (Unless I can scrounge up another before then).

Dude- you've been there before (and I know a few others, too, of course) but could you help take the lead on some organizing or at least get us started? I have no idea what to expect, and I'm about 900 miles from Cincy.

EDIT- Dude is obviously gifted in ESP and knew what I was going to ask.

Certainly...I've been to 2 of them and have worked a booth both times. I started a NHBC planning thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=53922

Depends on how some of these recent batches turn out. I bottled a smoked lager this past weekend, and am really impressed so far (like a cross between anchor xmas and sam adams winter lager)--though it'd go into a specialty category because of the smoke and the allspice. We'll have to see. I've got a bunch of other stuff that's newly bottled that I might submit, but I really don't know if I'm into it this year.

Evan! said:
Depends on how some of these recent batches turn out. I bottled a smoked lager this past weekend, and am really impressed so far (like a cross between anchor xmas and sam adams winter lager)--though it'd go into a specialty category because of the smoke and the allspice. We'll have to see. I've got a bunch of other stuff that's newly bottled that I might submit, but I really don't know if I'm into it this year.

Oh, your *****ie arse is going. Even if I have to drive to Va to get you. :D

I was more referring to submitting stuff for competition---yeah, I'm still planning on going. And yeah, Dude, I'll hitch with you and help with gas if you'll have me. What's up with booking rooms? Am I late on that?

Evan! said:
I was more referring to submitting stuff for competition---yeah, I'm still planning on going. And yeah, Dude, I'll hitch with you and help with gas if you'll have me. What's up with booking rooms? Am I late on that?

You will either need to find someone to double up with or see if you can get a room at a hotel within a couple of blocks. It is my understanding that the Sheraton North (conference location) and the hotel right next door are both booked.

How do you guys go about shipping beer to these competitions? I was looking online and saw I have to send mine to seattle. Any ideas?

I have 4 beers ready to go that I'll be submitting for the competition this year. I have:

Earl of Snohomish Barleywine
Brigadoon Scotch Ale
Hopocalypse Now Imperial IPA
Berliner Style Weisse

Reading your other thread Dude, really makes me want to go again this year. I just don't think it's going to hapen though. :(

Originally posted by Brentk14
How do you guys go about shipping beer to these competitions? I was looking online and saw I have to send mine to seattle. Any ideas?

I'm fortunate enough that I can walk to the local drop off location from my house. However, I've shipped enough beer that I can offer a few suggestions.

Line the box with a plastic trash bag. This will contain any leaks should a bottle break in transit. Also wrap each bottle individally in bubble wrap if you can. Pack tight to reduce any movement in the box. Ship via UPS or FedEx.

I've never had a bottle break in transit.

Good luck!

I'm going to submit at least my Scotish Ale, maybe my pale ale and maybe my 2006 barleywine. We'll see...

Thought I might enter the Belgian Wit I brewed yesterday (depending on how it ends up) and the Orval-type beer I brewed a few months ago, it's been sitting on the bret for a couple months now and has a nice fruity/ kiwi or pineapple smell. I'd enter a few more things but shipping is going to kill me.

YooperBrew said:
Well, I have a couple I've been thinking about. I think I am just a little intimidated by entering a contest. It's hard enough for me to send you guys a couple of beers to critique! I'm always afraid no one will like it!

I'm thinking that I'll brew tons in the next two weeks, and see what I like. I have a steam beer I'm doing again, and a Maibock that will be young in April, but ready by, well, May. The hops shortage had changed every one of my recipes! I'd like to do the DFH clone again but I'm not sure I can get all the hops I want.

So, probably the Maibock, and maybe an amber (a take off on the FT clone), and possibly the steam beer (california common). I have an all-chinook sort of AB thing that I might enter if I could figure out what style it would be.
Don't worry the comp feedback may help. You just might get lucky and win. I've entered Nationals several times and if you got one that you feel hits the style on the mark give it a try.

I'll probably enter

Helles
Boh Pils
Special Bitter
maybe a Cream Ale.

I've brewed 13 batches this year so far. Will not be able to brew this weekend but going to try for 2 11 gal batches the following weekend.

Gonna send off My barley wine, it will be over a year old then. Might send in one of my Belgian's depending on how they turn out.

Back