AHS 12.2 cone for DIY conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billtzk

Reaction score
AHS is selling the TMS 12.2 hopper for $160 right now, a good price. anyone made their own conical using this particular hopper? i know yuri_rage made that big 21 gallon (great thread on that) but i'm just wondering if others on this board have done it with the 12.2 from AHS. i'm thinking about it.

Sorry, no experience but have just spent the last two days reading about them.

Are you looking at the 5-24 quantity pricing? I'm looking at their page and see the price of $205 for the 12.2 (http://www.toledometalspinning.com/pdfs/TMS16914.pdf). Is there a seperate page for specials?

One more thing, don't mean to hijack thread. Has anyone also purchased the window option? I thought that would be kind of cool to have a little window to see the activity like a glass carboy but wondered if it was still small enough so that light would still not be an issue.

nduetime said:
Are you looking at the 5-24 quantity pricing? I'm looking at their page and see the price of $205 for the 12.2 (http://www.toledometalspinning.com/pdfs/TMS16914.pdf). Is there a seperate page for specials?

no i'm not talking about the quantity pricing at TMS. i only want to buy one, maybe two. it is $205 in quantities of 1 to 4 from TMS. Austin Homebrew Supply is selling the 12.2 hopper for $159.99 on sale right now. their normal price is $179.99.

it is the TMS hopper, but at a much better price than buying quantity 1 to 4 direct from TMS - i am guessing that AHS got a big quantity special price maybe. i doubt they'd sell 'em at a loss.

anyway the price at AHS is why i'm thinking of getting one. or two.

edit to add the AHS link - 12.2 at AHS

2ndstorey said:
Ive built one. you need welding skills or to know someone with welding skills.

i weld. but i won't claim to having "welding skills". i just started with a MIG welder. TIG would likely make nicer welds in this case, but can be done with MIG. i just gotta get a bottle of argon or trimix and ER308L wire for SS as what i have right now is C25 gas and ER70S-6 wire for mild steel.

did you weld it yourself? TIG or MIG? any pointers or advice you could offer?

i read all through yuri's thread. he TIGged and it is a larger conical. very nice thread there and lots of good info.

i'd like to know if anyone has tried MIG with trimix or argon and how that worked out. especially whether you can get a good sanitary weld that way.

also what would be the practical maximum volume of wort you could ferment in a 12.2? room for 11 gallons or only 10?

billtzk said:
i read all through yuri's thread. he TIGged and it is a larger conical. very nice thread there and lots of good info.

i'd like to know if anyone has tried MIG with trimix or argon and how that worked out. especially whether you can get a good sanitary weld that way.

also what would be the practical maximum volume of wort you could ferment in a 12.2? room for 11 gallons or only 10?

Depends on if you're using a blowoff tube or an airlock. But regardless, since most recipes are already designed for 5 gallon batches, I don't think I'd want to convert them to anything other than 10 gallon batches.

Sir Humpsalot said:
Depends on if you're using a blowoff tube or an airlock. But regardless, since most recipes are already designed for 5 gallon batches, I don't think I'd want to convert them to anything other than 10 gallon batches.

blowoff tube probably because i have a old fridge i'm going to add a temp controller to so i can lager. the conical has to fit in the fridge.

i adapt recipes for other volumes routinely. just convert the grain bill to gravity units and scale up to whatever volume i want. i'm not precise on the hops calculations, but it has turned out good so far.

With something this size, it is going to be a challenge to get a good penetrating sanitary weld.

Purging the inside of the conical with argon, and backstepping the welds no more than 1 1/2" at a time would work best. I wouldn't try this with MIG, as with TIG you won't be able to see the start and stop points at all of the backstepping like you would with MIG.

Wear your respirators folks, chromium and nickel are yucky.

KwaiLo thanks, is your comment about MIG versus TIG visibility opposite what you meant? I thought TIG gave better visibility than MIG. in other words swap MIG and TIG in second part of that sentence after the comma.

billtzk said:
KwaiLo thanks, is your comment about MIG versus TIG visibility opposite what you meant? I thought TIG gave better visibility than MIG. in other words swap MIG and TIG in second part of that sentence after the comma.

Preview can be your best friend at at times I guess.

You are of course correct.

In addition to KwaiLo's comments, use pure Argon. You'll get a much cleaner weld on stainless with Argon than with any of the mixes. Be sure to back gas or use a flux formulated for stainless (Solar Flux is the only one that comes to mind). Otherwise the backs of your welds will be extremely porous and ugly ("sugared"). Stainless isn't THAT hard to weld, but it can be hard to weld well.

I recommend TIG, but a careful, skilled welder should be able to get decent results with MIG.

billtzk said:
no i'm not talking about the quantity pricing at TMS. i only want to buy one, maybe two. it is $205 in quantities of 1 to 4 from TMS. Austin Homebrew Supply is selling the 12.2 hopper for $159.99 on sale right now. their normal price is $179.99.

it is the TMS hopper, but at a much better price than buying quantity 1 to 4 direct from TMS - i am guessing that AHS got a big quantity special price maybe. i doubt they'd sell 'em at a loss.

anyway the price at AHS is why i'm thinking of getting one. or two.

edit to add the AHS link - 12.2 at AHS

I'm sorry about that. I didn't realize AHS sold them. I appologize for that!!!

Yuri_Rage said:
Stainless isn't THAT hard to weld, but it can be hard to weld well.

I recommend TIG, but a careful, skilled welder should be able to get decent results with MIG.

i am not skilled... yet. :eek: you'll see what i mean when i post pics of the mild steel Brutus Ten that i'm building. and having MIG not TIG, it's two hurdles.

i like a challenge, but not throwing away money, so i'm going to table it for now. but i still might get that hopper while the price is right.

Yuri_Rage said:
Stainless isn't THAT hard to weld, but it can be hard to weld well.

One of the things I have found it that the heat affected zone is so much different than it is for mild steel. The way the bead lays down is quite a bit slower.

Practice on cut off kegs tops, if you can get some.

Sorry for the late reply. I don't weld but both of my brothers do. One of them TIG'ed on a half coupler to the bottom for the dump valve and built the stand for me from my design. For the racking port I bought the racking arm assembly from AHS. I put 11 gallons in it all of the time, but I also bought the domed lid for it rather than the flat one. It adds a decent amount of head space. Either way you should use a blowoff tube.

2ndstorey said:
Sorry for the late reply. I don't weld but both of my brothers do. One of them TIG'ed on a half coupler to the bottom for the dump valve and built the stand for me from my design. For the racking port I bought the racking arm assembly from AHS. I put 11 gallons in it all of the time, but I also bought the domed lid for it rather than the flat one. It adds a decent amount of head space. Either way you should use a blowoff tube.

thanks 2ndstorey. I wondered about the domed lid. It seems like a better way to go than the flat lid for the extra headspace.

I came to the conclusion that my welding skills and equipment aren't up to this kind of job yet.

Soooooo, I have a confession to make. I pulled the trigger last night on one of these bad boys: 14.5 gallon Fermenator :rockin:

yeah, I know it's cheating, but i don't think it'll bother my conscience that much. :D

Back