Smoking with a Weber grill...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gratus fermentatio

Reaction score
Bought these:
http://www.wayfair.com/Weber-Charcoal-Briquet-Holders-7403-WBE1012.html
to start smoking on my Weber 22.5" kettle grill. Also got the hinged grate to go with it. I'm just wondering what your thoughts are on the product(s) & recommended processes are & if you have any tips or tricks to use with such a setup. I've got a couple of pork loins & a few racks of ribs in the freezer I'd like to do, not all at once though.

I'm thinking drip pan in ctr, charcoal in the baskets on 2 sides w/apple wood chips. Maybe some cider in the drip pan. Also got a thermometer to go in the top vent. I'm a n00b when it comes to smoking, so I'll bow to your expertise.
Thanks in advance. Regards, GF.

I'm thinking drip pan in ctr, charcoal in the baskets on 2 sides w/apple wood chips. Maybe some cider in the drip pan. Also got a thermometer to go in the top vent. I'm a n00b when it comes to smoking, so I'll bow to your expertise.
Thanks in advance. Regards, GF.

Indirect heat is definitely best for smoking.

For the spare ribs, if you're gonna use cider, try the 3-1-1 method. Dry rub, then (3) hours low-n-slow around 250ºF, then wrap them in foil for (1) hour with about a 1/4 cup of cider, then unwrap and back on the grill for (1) hour. Delicious, easy, tender. Baby Backs won't need as much time, so alter accordingly.

I like to cook loin a little warmer, around 300ºF. Time depends on the size of the loin, but I pull them off the smoker around 145-150ºF and keep wrapped up in foil for a half hour to finish off. This will give you a done, but very tender and sliceable loin.

Make the most of that grill space! Plan for some extras to cook at the same time. :tank:

ribsonsmoker.jpg

I reccomend st louis cut, nice and meaty. Baby backs are a good second choice. With Most butchers you have to order the SLC ahead of time.

GF are you new to charcoal fire control? If you aren't, great... jump right in! If you are unsure how your grill will react to zone cooking I'd do a test run of chicken thighs (they're forgiving and cheap) to dial in your process.

GF are you new to charcoal fire control? If you aren't, great... jump right in! If you are unsure how your grill will react to zone cooking I'd do a test run of chicken thighs (they're forgiving and cheap) to dial in your process.

Yes, I think so. I've been grilling a while & use indirect heat quite a bit, but for smoking, I'm a n00b. I made some mistakes last time I smoked some ribs, wasn't happy with the results & decided not to make the same mistakes twice.

I'll have to dial it in using the bottom vent, last time I used the top vent cuz I didn't know any better & it was easier to reach. Maybe I can rig up a little extension handle for the bottom vent to make it easier. I also used too much wood (mesquite) & too much charcoal. Those ribs had a pretty harsh taste & I aim to avoid that in the future.

I like the chicken thighs idea to dial it in, maybe not as cheap as the toast method, but certainly much more tasty & fun. The trick for me is going to be finding the time to do so in the next couple of weeks.
Regards, GF.

Yes, I think so. I've been grilling a while & use indirect heat quite a bit, but for smoking, I'm a n00b. I made some mistakes last time I smoked some ribs, wasn't happy with the results & decided not to make the same mistakes twice.

I'll have to dial it in using the bottom vent, last time I used the top vent cuz I didn't know any better & it was easier to reach. Maybe I can rig up a little extension handle for the bottom vent to make it easier. I also used too much wood (mesquite) & too much charcoal. Those ribs had a pretty harsh taste & I aim to avoid that in the future.

I like the chicken thighs idea to dial it in, maybe not as cheap as the toast method, but certainly much more tasty & fun. The trick for me is going to be finding the time to do so in the next couple of weeks.
Regards, GF.

The lump coal that I use gives me a lot of smoke character without any additional wood at all. For ribs, I don't add any. Pork butts and large pieces like that get the wood.

If you buy full racks of ribs, you can roll them in a circle and stick a wooden (or metal) skewer through it. Much easier than a rib rack. and far better than laying flat. I flip once half way through.

babyback-ribs-on-smoker-60783.jpg

I smoke on my 22.5 weber. I also have the hinged grate which is a must. The charcoal holders you just bought are cool and someday I will impulse buy them but have had great success without them. Just like you thought, I use a drip pan pretty much with everything. For me it helps hold the coals in place and I feel like it deflects heat and without it the bottom of my meat would get overcooked while with it I get more even cooking. This could be completely wrong but if it ain't broke don't fix it. I drilled a little hole and put in a thermometer. Highly recommended.

Somebody said something about using the bottom vent to adjust temp. This is good advice. Closing off the top builds soot faster. My buddy who uses the top vent has loads of soot built up on the top of his lid and it falls on to everything he makes.

Somebody else mentioned heat control being difficult. Although my heat tends to fluctuate a little bit my father who also smokes on his webers seem to be able to keep it dead on. I suck at consistently tending the grill while he can watch it for hours Probably has more to do with that than anything.

You will love smoking on the weber

I smoke on my Webber.

I have a hinged grate and and the metal charcoal retainers that hook into the bottom grate. I build my fire on one side and use place a cast iron sauce pan with dry chips or sawdust on top of the coals, I sometimes use some foil to make sure the meat closest to the fire doesn't get too warm.

I lay the probe of a thermometer on top the meat and control my temp by opening and closing the vents as needed. I can maintain my temp pretty well-as cool or as hot as I want it. After the coals burn down a bit I shift the pan to one side on top of the coals and add coals to the other and continue to do this during the time that I cook.

IMO i find the baskets are okay with normal grilling but for smoking indirect i still fill the chimney starter and dump the coals on one side.Weber says to put a basket on each side but i found that it is to much heat and dries out the meat even with a water filled drip pan in the center.

I use what Webber calls charcoal "rails" to keep the coals off to one side. They clip into the bottom coal grate. What I like about them is that you can move them depending on how big of a coal base you want. They run about $9 for two, but I usually only build the fire on one side. You can order them from Webber, but I think I got mine at Ace Hardware

307402_194x144.jpg

CGVT said:
I use what Webber calls charcoal "rails" to keep the coals off to one side. They clip into the bottom coal grate. What I like about them is that you can move them depending on how big of a coal base you want. They run about $9 for two, but I usually only build the fire on one side. You can order them from Webber, but I think I got mine at Ace Hardware

Cool pic!

307402_194x144.jpg

Home Depot sells the stainless charcoal holderss (same ones that come with the Weber Performer). The advantage here is that 1) you can move it if desired, and 2) you can occasionally grab the bin with your tongs and shake out ash. I think they are about $7 each.

6d1b84c1-900f-49da-be53-b1a49bd824ce_1000.jpg

I'm planning on "smoking" some ribs on my Weber tonight! I plan on doing them indirect, using a rib rack. I have already mixed the rub ingredients, and mixed and simmered the sauce and the "mop." I'm following a recipe from a grilling/smoking cookbook I bought a few weeks ago...some really tasty-sounding recipes!

glenn514:mug:

A year ago I "retired" my old Webber grill. I had it for over 25 years. It moved with me from Key West to Alaska to VT to AL with stops in Ohio, FL, GA and New Jersey along the way. It was like an old friend and when I decided it was time to put the old girl down it was a sad day indeed.

I bought a new one to replace it, but somehow, it just isn't the same.

This is my facebook post about it and some of the comments:

After many, many years of faithful service I am retiring my old Weber grill today. It's been through 9 PCS transfers, numerous part replacements and has been part of countless meals and great times with friends and family. RIP old friend..

I hope you played taps for it!!!

Ha! Today was trash day and much to Mary's chagrin, I just couldn't bring myself to put it out on the curb..

I see you and your Dad cooking together and smoking cigars....sad to see it go.

Sorry for you loss, Jim

Chicken in Cape May for Vinnie's CCTI!

A moment of silence in Owosso for the old grill!

I'm so sorry to hear that. ): We had some good times with that grill!

I remember all the stories of what you cooked on those.

That is the grill we had at the Senior Bowl tailgate.

Seems like everyone Jim knows has a story about that grill.. I taught Jim how to barbecue on that grill... ;)

Think I've had oysters on her at the St Simons Island

Had Michigan venisonon the ole girl too

Yes we did. Fresh Gulf and Atlantic Shrimp, Copper River Red Salmon and Pacific Halibut and Cod, Dolly Varden Trout, Cape May Scallops, oysters from both from the Gulf and the Atlantic, Maine, Florida and Gulf Lobsters, fresh caught Wahoo, Tuna, Snapper, Mackerel, Mahi, Cobia and a few that I can't think of along with every vegetable that you could imagine. I've made BBQ Brisket and I think I've smoked 20 turkeys on it and I can't even start to count the smoked pork butts and grilled chickens. I even made pizza on it a couple of times.
I've spent hours standing around it with friends and family BSing and laughing.
That's why I couldn't bring myself to take it out to the trash this morning.

BTW, Mary thinks I'm insane..

My buddy Marc and me @1988 near Grand River OH(I have the lid, Marc has the sauce)

527917_3495963803260_1222378939_n.jpg

That is an impressive amount of love surrounding your grilling exploits and, of course, the old girl herself.

Home Depot sells the stainless charcoal holderss (same ones that come with the Weber Performer). The advantage here is that 1) you can move it if desired, and 2) you can occasionally grab the bin with your tongs and shake out ash. I think they are about $7 each.

6d1b84c1-900f-49da-be53-b1a49bd824ce_1000.jpg

Yep. Those are the bins I have.

And Ace is the place, haha, for Weber gear. Watch for their various sales.

I use the coal bins mentioned above. Sometimes I use 1, sometimes 2, depending on what I'm smoking.

I started my smoking adventures on the Weber with whole turkeys. I graduated to all kinds of smokers, but eventually found my way back to using the Weber as often as all of the others combined. Unless I have a huge amount of food to prepare, it's just too easy to fire up and run the kettle. Here's a great example: Corn bread cranberry stuffing rolled into a pork loin.

2012-04-07160343.jpg

IMG_2323.jpg

IMG_2324.jpg

Ours has also been in the family a long time. It was a wedding gift 28+ years ago and still going strong (except for the oak handles). I've got to make some new handles.

I also prefer lump charcoal. Great heat and smoke characteristics.

Really good idea. I buy whole chickens and cut them up myself, so I've always got loads of thighs in the freezer, not only are they good for this kind of stuff but who doesn't like bbq chicken!

I've smoked meat using direct heat before, the trick is using a tiny bit of charcoal at a time, and then placing the water soaked wood chips in aluminum foil.

adiochiro3 said:
I use the coal bins mentioned above. Sometimes I use 1, sometimes 2, depending on what I'm smoking.

I started my smoking adventures on the Weber with whole turkeys. I graduated to all kinds of smokers, but eventually found my way back to using the Weber as often as all of the others combined. Unless I have a huge amount of food to prepare, it's just too easy to fire up and run the kettle. Here's a great example: Corn bread cranberry stuffing rolled into a pork loin.

Ours has also been in the family a long time. It was a wedding gift 28+ years ago and still going strong (except for the oak handles). I've got to make some new handles.

I also prefer lump charcoal. Great heat and smoke characteristics.

Looks tasty. We use lump charcoal also.

Temp control is going to be the issue. Chips like to catch on fire and spike the temps. With ribs, that is an issue.

With a loin, keep the probe thermometer in it, and take it off the grill when it hits 145F, whether it got enough smoke or not, you don't want to dry it out.

cheezydemon3 said:
Temp control is going to be the issue. Chips like to catch on fire and spike the temps. With ribs, that is an issue.

With a loin, keep the probe thermometer in it, and take it off the grill when it hits 145F, whether it got enough smoke or not, you don't want to dry it out.

Agreed. I always wrap them in bacon... And never use chips.

If you put the chips in a cast iron sauce pan (like I do ;)) and place the pan directly on the coals they don't flare up or burn quickly. They smolder slowly giving off just enough smoke. I take the ashes out with tongs and add more chips through the process as needed. One pan will burn for a little over two hours. Saw dust works well that way too, but the chips seem to be more readily available here.

Jerk chicken:

416896_3131216011398_1594672690_n.jpg

A year ago I "retired" my old Webber grill. I had it for over 25 years. It moved with me from Key West to Alaska to VT to AL with stops in Ohio, FL, GA and New Jersey along the way. It was like an old friend and when I decided it was time to put the old girl down it was a sad day indeed.

I bought a new one to replace it, but somehow, it just isn't the same.

Two or three years ago I retired an original Weber from the 1950's that had an almost flat cover. Dad used it from 1955 through 1980 and then put it in the basement. I took it and used it off and on until 2010 when I retired it to our gun club's range for members to use during all day activities.

Sad day indeed when passing on an old friend.

How much coal do you guys start with? Using a chimney starter as a gauge. I don't have a thermometer, so am always guessing. And usually wrongly--too hot.

A year ago I "retired" my old Webber grill. I had it for over 25 years.

I smoked two racks of ribs on my Weber yesterday, and realized that it's over 40 years old!!! It is missing one bottom vent damper...and I just found out I can order them directly from Weber by phone! I'll take care of that tomorrow! I used one charcoal rail and kept the coals to one side of the kettle. Worked like a charm!

glenn514:mug:

SWMBO & I cleaned out the freezer and reorganized it. Found some country style pork ribs and some boneless beef "ribs" that needed smoking up. Used the good old reliable Weber. Smoked with lump hardwood and a little mesquite for 3 hours.

20131117_184759.jpg

Tasty -- even after being buried in the freezer for quite a while.

I have those exact charcoal baskets and use them often. I've had great luck doing high &'fast briskets with them. I found the high & fast method on some smoking forum (virtual weber bullet, maybe?). Do a Minion method to light coals an the brisket can be done in 6 hours.

Back