How could I use an old breast pump for homebrewing tasks? (srsly)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetallHed

Reaction score
My wife got a new breast pump for our expecting child, so she doesn't need the old used one we bought. It works, as far as I know, and she wanted to just throw it out. It has a nice AC adapter so I was going to keep that but after thinking about it I thought maybe there was something I could use it for brewing related.

I'm no engineer and my creative idea pool is pretty shallow, so I thought I'd ask the hive mind their thoughts. I dunno, maybe something for transferring?

Well... put one of these on your secondary
9852.jpg

Then hook the breast pump up to one of the ports, and the siphon tube from your primary to the other port... let 'er rip.

Only problem is that it'll probably take a week to transfer 5 gallons. Seriously.

Maybe siphoning milk stout? Seriously I don't know if it would do anything any better than existing dedicated homebrew equipment so other than the academic achievement of making it into a multi-tasker you probably won't improve your system any.

I applaud your ingenuity, OP, but even high dollar breast punps are SLOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW. I just don't see this being worth it.

Well... put one of these on your secondary
9852.jpg

Then hook the breast pump up to one of the ports, and the siphon tube from your primary to the other port... let 'er rip.

Only problem is that it'll probably take a week to transfer 5 gallons. Seriously.

This is what I was thinking, too. We've never used one so we weren't aware of how slow they were.

Oh well, I guess. It just seemed a waste to throw a working pump and motor out in the trash.

You could probably sell it or donate it over throwing it away. The main pump itself typically doesn't come in contact with anything and the parts that do are disposable.

Unlike a magnetic pump being measured in gal per minute a breast pump would likely be measured in gal per day and would probably aerate whatever went through it.

Good luck.

Back