IIPA Recipe Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChadChaney

Reaction score
So I have the beginnings of an Imperial/Double IPA and have a few questions I am curious to hear thoughts on. First, I am thinking of using some Belgian Strong Malt in the batch for a little extra malted kick, anyone ever try this? Also, I want to use Pacman yeast for this beer, a 90 min boil, shooting for a Dogfish Head type outcome, but maybe a little hoppier...

The 90 min IIPA, and the malt is a Dingemans Belgian Strong malt, I will have to look again later for more details. i am shooting for a nice biscuit aroma and flavor to balance the strong hops. Using warrior, falconers flight and amarillo hops..

From what I read, the Belgian strong malt is similar to Melanoiden, which is a grain 3 Floyds uses a lot in IPAs, so I imagine it would be ok. I would probably not use too much, maybe a lb. The hops should be great. I cant remember what all falconers flight has in it, but it is a lot of good ones (citra/simcoe/amarillo/cent, etc). I would bitter to about 60 ibus with warrior at start of boil, then throw in a lot of the rest spaced out in the last 15 minutes and flameout to get to 90 ibus. Then dryhop with a few oz. Pacman should work well also.

If you post more info, such as all grain or extract, how much of each hop you have, etc it would be beneficial.

yeah, I will post the entire recipe soon, still tinkering a little, but it will be a mostly extract with a mini-mash or steep.

Check the 90min recipe under my name. That one is pretty dead on. Add some more Amarillo and/or falconer's flight in the last 15min if you want it hoppier. Never used belgian strong malt, so I'm no help there.

Scottland, I saw that recipe, and it looks killer! I am looking for something a little different than a clone of the 90 minute, I did save your recipe though. I am using warrior pellets/leaf, amarillo and falconers flight, thinking about a major hop burst at flameout, not quite sure yet...

Back