Protein/Mouthfeel/Body/Head Discussion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdlev

Reaction score
So my Scotsman Wee Heavy has turned out to be my best brew to date! Good balance keeps the high ABV in check, and it is has a good, yet slightly overbearing malt character, and a full body.

I think the character of the brews I make have been a bit too high in malty characteristics. I think that's coming from one or two places. Either the hops aren't bittering/flavoring the beer as they should be (maybe they're old or something), or maybe I'm leaving too much protein in the brew since I typically skip the protein rest when mashing. But on highly modified malts like 2 row & marris otter, I don't think a protein rest is necessary.

So, any ideas on how I can bring my beers into better balance. I'm looking to go lighter. Like new castle light, not coors light - I want them to be more refreshing.

Just thinking out loud, I could up the co2, but that's going to increase the malty characteristics in the beer. I could add a SHORT protein rest. I know a long rest should produce a watery beer. I'm thinking about trying to substitute corn/rice for a small portion of the base malt to give it a lighter mouth feel.

Thoughts?

The key to good balance is in the recipe. Too much malt, and too little hops, means a too-sweet beer. Too many "body building" ingredients will cause a "thick" beer.

Mash temps are also very important. If you want a thinner bodied beer, you can mash at 149 or 150 to have more simple (shorter chained) sugars while for a thicker mouthfeel and more body, you can mash at 158.

For example, my cream ale is low on IBUs, mashed cooler than an APA, and uses corn to lighten the body. It's thin, dry, and crisp. My oatmeal stout is loaded with flaked body, crystal malt, etc, and mashed at 156 or 158. It's rich and full bodied.

Both have an OG of about 1.050!

Back