How Many People Know What Juniper Tastes Like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you know what juniper tastes like?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

WilliamWS

Reaction score
Just curious how many people actually are familiar with the taste of juniper. Reason being, I just got back my score sheet from the NHBC and, while I'm not too disappointed in the score for my juniper brown (35), this is the second competition in a row in which the main flavor descriptor from all of the judges was "piney" yet one of the major detractors for all the judges was that they couldn't taste any juniper in the beer.

I'm just wondering what flavor contribution they are expecting juniper to make if not a "piney" flavor. All of the five judges in the two comps attributed the pineyness to copious amounts of American hops and only one mentioned in passing that he supposed that it might be possible that the juniper had blended well enough with the hops to make the two indistinguishable (though he still said he wouldn't have known there was juniper in it had I not labeled it as such).

While I did use a respectable amount of American hops in the beer I think the judges would be surprised if they knew which ones and how much I used. I also know what the juniper tasted like when I picked it at my sister's place in Texas over Christmas, what it tasted like when I added it to the boil, and what it tasted like when I added it to secondary (thinks very sweet Christmas tree). That pineyness in the beer tasted just like my fresh juniper berries (I even tasted them side-by-side), similar to but not quite the same as hop pineyness (and, yes the juniper and hops did blend well-that was the idea). I was actually rather surprised with how much the juniper character came out in the beer.
Just wasn't sure whether maybe most people aren't familiar with the flavor.
I'll also say this much: The only times I've used juniper for anything it's been fresh. It was all over the place where I grew up and is actually pretty tasty. I know dried juniper is most commonly used and I'll admit that I've never tasted the dried stuff. Maybe it has a little different flavor and that's what the judges were expecting. Really not sure.

Sorry I don't know what juniper tastes like but I would form the poll in more of descriptive answer. (piney, earthy, oakey and the such) So you can get a description of what people think it is close to.

Sorry I don't know what juniper tastes like but I would form the poll in more of descriptive answer. (piney, earthy, oakey and the such) So you can get a description of what people think it is close to.

I was really just more curious as to what percentage of people are familiar with the flavor. Not really interested as much in what people would guess it tastes like.

Ever had gin? Juniper is what makes Tanqueray taste like Tanqueray. Go out and find a bottle of Junipero Gin (interestingly enough made by the same folks as Anchor Brewing... and actually in the same building). That's some juniper'y stuff right there.

The juniper berries I used were the dried variety you get in the LHBS. I didn't think my pale ale I made with them was anything other than juniper (think gin) tasting. Perhaps the fresh juniper carries some pine flavor with it. Here's my recipe for the 2.5 gallon batch I made this past January.

3 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 81.08 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 6.76 %
4.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 6.76 %
3.2 oz Carapils (1.5 SRM) Grain 5.41 %
10.00 gm Centennial [5.70 %] (60 min) Hops 14.1 IBU
5.00 gm Centennial [5.65 %] (30 min) Hops 5.4 IBU
5.00 gm Cascade [4.60 %] (15 min) Hops 2.8 IBU
5.00 gm Cascade [4.60 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.25 oz Juniper Berrier (Boil 5.0 min) Misc

I did vote yes.

When I was a young teen and sneaking cigarettes, I'd pluck a few juniper berries on the way home and chew them to get the smell off my breath. Piney is what I remember, and VERY strong and assertive.

My only experience with juniper is in gin as mentioned. However there is a lot of other herbs and botanicals that go into making gin besides just juniper. I responded "no" to the poll for that reason.

I've noticed a difference in taste between the berries on the wild juniper trees & the juniper bushes in the yard. It seems to me that different varieties of juniper would produce different characters in their berries, much like the different apple varieties do.
There are a lot of varieties of juniper too: http://www.evergreenplantnursery.com/Juniper-Juniperus-s/22.htm
I have no science or research to back up this theory other than my own limited experience, but it seems like a sound theory to me. Regards, GF.

I've noticed a difference in taste between the berries on the wild juniper trees & the juniper bushes in the yard. It seems to me that different varieties of juniper would produce different characters in their berries, much like the different apple varieties do.
There are a lot of varieties of juniper too: http://www.evergreenplantnursery.com/Juniper-Juniperus-s/22.htm
I have no science or research to back up this theory other than my own limited experience, but it seems like a sound theory to me. Regards, GF.

Yeah, I know there are a ton of different varieties-where I grew up (central Texas) there were at least two that grew wild. But, being an evergreen and the fact that the "berries" are the tree's version of a cone, I'd expect that most would taste fairly piney.
Oh, and just to mention (I don't want to plant any potentially harmful ideas in anyone's head) the berries of some juniper varieties are poisonous. So please don't go around tasting random berries unless you know they're ok for consumption.

I don't want to plant any potentially harmful ideas in anyone's head) the berries of some juniper varieties are poisonous. So please don't go around tasting random berries unless you know they're ok for consumption.
Good advice.
I make a juniper gravy for my venison from eastern red cedar (Don't confuse the name, its a true juniper: Juniperius Virginiana). While it does taste piny, I would say that verity (at least) is very distinct from pine. Then again, I study trees for a living, so I might be more picky then most.

I would also love to try your brew. Sounds like a great idea.

Ever had gin? Juniper is what makes Tanqueray taste like Tanqueray. Go out and find a bottle of Junipero Gin (interestingly enough made by the same folks as Anchor Brewing... and actually in the same building). That's some juniper'y stuff right there.

Good advice.
I make a juniper gravy for my venison from eastern red cedar (Don't confuse the name, its a true juniper: Juniperius Virginiana). While it does taste piny, I would say that verity (at least) is very distinct from pine. Then again, I study trees for a living, so I might be more picky then most.

I would also love to try your brew. Sounds like a great idea.

Gin has a definite juniper berry taste!

I wouldn't call juniper "piney", but as my husband said when I asked him, it's "conifer-y" Of course, he's a retired wildlife biologist who did his undergrad in forestry. I think juniper tastes more like spruce than pine, though, but with a distinct conifer taste. I don't know how it could be mistaken for hops!

I used to brew witbiers with crushed juniper berries. They certainly have a fresh evergreen character to me, although I wouldn't necessarily describe it as "piney". The Juniper character is less tannic than what I would describe as "piney".

Piney & resinous mostly. Sometimes I'll soak it in vodka with a bit of lemon peel for a refreshing citrius/piney drink.

Mostly I use it in my bbq sauces.
*edit: conifery? I like that. I'll go with that instead. Generically it tastes like how christmas trees smell.*

I wouldn't expect a beer with juniper in it to tasty "Gin-ey" I hope the judges weren't looking for that. There are a whole bunch of other herbs and spices in gin, and they all contribute to the flavor. Yes, junipers predominates in most gins, but it tastes very different than juniper berries soaked in everclear (what I do for my holiday beer).

We make sauerkraut with juniper berries in it. You can definitely taste them, but is doesn't taste like gin!

And juniper also adds bitterness, too, that is distinct or can be distinguished from hop bitterness. I made a pale ale (we're almost out of it now) with a potion of juniper berries and lemon peels in vodka and I liked the depth the juniper bitterness gave to the beer, it worked well with the hop bitterness.

Dried Juniper = Orange/Pine, at least the bottle of it that I have. Only experience I've had with it in beer was Rogues and it was nowhere to be found in the bottle I had. Sapphire Gin is loaded with it, but at $45 for the large bottle I don't buy it very often.

I would love to know where you get fresh Juniper berry. I use them, the dried variety a lot, mostly for cooking but also for a very refreshing APA. I tried using fresh berries picked from a tree but found them so unpleasant that I gave up on that idea.

Did you post your recipe? just curious I have been considering doing a juniper brew for a while.

for the record. juniper absolutely has a piney quality to it. Those judges are hacks

I am not surprised it came out so strongly in the beer - it is a potent spice. I make a polish sausage with it and a little goes a long way - but it makes the sausage unreal.

Thanks pappers - much appreciated. Love juniper in the right dose

best

EDIT:

Crap - simcoe are hard to grab these days - can't wait for the new harvest

For bittering you can use many other hops instead of Simcoe for this.

MoreBeer has Simcoe pellets, pricer than we've gotten used to but still around. I snagged a few to get me through a few planned beers in the Aroma department.

My limited knowledge of it comes from gin and I haven't had much gin I my life

If I had to describe it... pinelike but with more 'christmas'
I answered no in the poll..

Brew Your Own magazine had a good article about Scandinavian beers last month.

I will dig it out today and see if it has anything interesting to say.

Latest posts

Back