12" SS False Bottom with 1/2" Hose Barb?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makisupa

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a 12" SS false bottom for my 10-gal Rubbermaid mash tun. All of my system's fittings are 1/2". I can only find SS false bottoms with 3/8" hose barbs.

Does anyone know how I can get a false bottom to work with 1/2" fitting? Also, all of my silicone tubing is 1/2". I'm looking avoid 3/8".

I have a 10 gal Rubbermaid mash tun with the 12" False Bottom with the 3/8" hose barbs. Since during sparging you throttle back on the flow from the MLT the 3/8" fittings are quite adequate for the purpose and I feel there is no need to worry about any restriction at that point. The rest of my system is happily 1/2" throughout until it reaches my 3/8" cFlow Chiller where the same restriction is of no concern.

I hear ya regarding flow rate but my concern is that the bulkhead fitting is 1/2" NPT and I have 50' of 1/2" ID tubing in stock as well as 1/2" barbs. I'd rather try and outfit the false bottom with a 1/2" barb to keep things consistent spend less money. I could always buy a 1/2" NPT with 3/8" barb and 3/8" ID tubing but I think it's cheaper/easier to try a 1/2" barb on the false bottom. Right?

What about taking a small piece of 3/8" tubing (just enough to cover the 3/8" barb) and then put your 1/2" tubing over it?

That's what I did with my sparge/sprayer tip. 3/8" vinyl tubing and my 1/2" Silicone tubing slides right over it. Secure it with a clamp and your done.

Probably something you have laying around, cut 1/2" off you racking tubing... a free fix!

Back