Buying the Blichman 3 tier system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbGator

Reaction score
Ok, so I've wanted to get a 3 tier system for my all grain setup. I went ahead and sold a guitar so I could buy it and now I'm wondering if I should. I'm only 5'6'' so I'm a little worried about reaching the liquor tun at the top. I feel like I'm gonna need a step stool to get to the top. Also for the time being I will not be buying the pumps, so I'm going to need gravity to do all the work for me here. I will need to be able to see in the mash tun so I can mash it. I hope that second stand is low enough for me to see into it and for gravity to push the wort out into the boil kettle. Someone help me figure out this dilemma, I really want to get this system.

3_Level_Step_Ladder.jpg

I sold a Taylor 214e. I love the step stool, lol I think I will search out that model exactly. I guess if people that are 6'2'' have to use a step stool as well, then I'm sold. How do you like the Blichmann setup? Any problems with gravity and moving wort?

I plan on getting the toptier as well. About 4-5 months away at current saving rate. I saw one in person at it doesn't appear that the HLT has to be at the absolute top to just do all gravity, but fairly close to the top. You might have to use a step ladder, but to me that doesn't seem like a big deal. You mash tun could save you some height too, depends if you use a rectangular cooler, or round cooler, or pot. The mash tun will be easy enough to see in without a step ladder for sure.

I recently bought a top tier with 2 burners and a shelf, a theminator, hop rocket and march pump... I love the system, it doesn't take up to much room and works awesome. Btw, I'm only 5'10" and have to use a step stool..... I have my burners and shelves somewhat high to help in the gravity feed to my pump. No stool needed for the boil... Just to add water and stir the mash...
Good luck, I don't think you'd go wrong buying a top tier....

Fixed it for you.

No way. I consider myself an alcoholic, but I gave up brewing for guitars and my band. I have a dozen guitars and insane amp heads, but beer will come and go. I am finally in a position to do both. :mug:

Step ladders are against my religion which is why I built one of these.
You can also buy them fully assembled I hear.
HDBrewery3.jpg

I think I'm dead set on getting the Blichmann system and nothing else because its modular. Now I just need to fork out the dough, why am I feeling so guilty about buying it? I sold the guitar so I could afford it and ........ you know what I think I'll order it when I get home from work.

When I upgraded my system to handle 10 gallon batches, I was forced onto a step ladder. I F*&%ing hate it! I'm currently trying to figure a way to buy a March or Chugger and stay off the ladder for good.

dmbGator said:
I think I'm dead set on getting the Blichmann system and nothing else because its modular. Now I just need to fork out the dough, why am I feeling so guilty about buying it? I sold the guitar so I could afford it and ........ you know what I think I'll order it when I get home from work.

Have you ordered it yet? I'm ordering it at the end of next month. Been saving every payday and luckily getting some OT so I can get it sooner than expected. Who cares if you have to use a step ladder. Eventually you can upgrade to a pump if you want.

I'm getting an insane tax return this year (just efiled) thanks to buying a house half way through 2010. I've only done one home brew batch (doing another this weekend) but I'm already looking to get a top tier stand. I busted my back dragging heavy pots full of water/wort from the driveway where I had the burner (didn't wanna run it IN the garage) and back to my work bench, and it was all a huge pain in the ass. I'd love to be able to do everything in one spot, and roll the stand back into my garage when done. Have you guys ordered this yet? Would love to hear your feedback.

I don't need to reach it but with my current setup, once the water has been heated in the driveway outside on the burner, I need to 1) put it in the rubbermaid cooler, and 2) bring it back inside and place it onto my bench. This is a lot of manual work and lots of lifting and awkward positioning. I'm looking at getting another 10 gallon pot to use as my HLT that way I can direct heat it, and place it on a tiered stand like this Blichman and just pump water into it, then heat...without lifting anything.

I'm only 5'6''

haha short!

(some times i forget, not everyone is 6'5" and 300 lbs.)

you could buy a pump, and pump the hot water up to the hlt, that would add like 250 bucks to the cost of the system, but it would make it so you didn't need a $20.00 step ladder.

but honestly, i am not a giant when i stand next to someone who is 7'1", but it does prove the SWMBO is fun size

232323232%7Ffp5366%3A%3Enu%3D3388%3E24%3A%3E9%3B%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D329969%3C43%3B346nu0mrj

I'm 6'2", but it still means I need to lift the HLT once the water is heated with my current barely gravity/half outside/half inside setup.

Anyway, I dig your financial logic lotbfan. gotta spend money to save money! :)

I just pulled the trigger and bought the Blichman Top Tier from rebelbrewer with 2 burners and a shelf. I'll get the pumps and therminator later, but for now, this will be MUCH better than what I have now...which is nothing :D

Something else to consider, maybe for a future upgrade. I picked up a used B3 1550 system in December and added 4500W elements to the HLT and kettle for a herms system. I think the system was designed for the Mash Tun on top, but I switched the HLT to the top so I wouldn't have to lift spent grains from overhead. Anyway, got the HLT on top with 4500W element. It heats the water up with the flip of a switch. I put SS camlock quick connects on the system, and I put one on my filtered drinking water hose. To fill it I simply connect the hose via the camlock to the drain valve and fill from the bottom. So I never have a need to climb up there for anything.

Ok im drunk so forgive me if i missed some posts. I was just 2day figuring prices on sculptures/brewtrees/holysh+t# im a redneck(which i am) setups. why buy blingman tree? unless u have no skills(sorry all not ment as a flame) i can build an ample 3teir stand out of 2x4 and 1/2 plywood for $50.00 and the burners I need from Lowes for $60 each. and while I did not see bling coming with burners or pots i can get 2 15gal kettles from brewhemoth. so why go the overpriced blingman route?

Ok im drunk so forgive me if i missed some posts. I was just 2day figuring prices on sculptures/brewtrees/holysh+t# im a redneck(which i am) setups. why buy blingman tree? unless u have no skills(sorry all not ment as a flame) i can build an ample 3teir stand out of 2x4 and 1/2 plywood for $50.00 and the burners I need from Lowes for $60 each. and while I did not see bling coming with burners or pots i can get 2 15gal kettles from brewhemoth. so why go the overpriced blingman route?

Well, Us homebrewers do become drunk from time to time. :) Sometimes while we brew. Now put together a drunken brew session, a couple 100,000 BTU propane burners, and a brewstand made from plywood and 2 x 4's and see if you can find any reasons that could be a problem.

not really i know where u goin with the btu mention but how posts are there in here bout wood sculptures? i personally saw som very nice ones. Im just saying if u do ur research(on this site mind you) you can build a rig including burners and kettles for the price of a blingman 3teir with no burners or kettles.

Like anything else in life it is a question of which you have more of, money or time.

I drive a Hyundai. It drives fine, gets me where I need to go, has heat, and air conditioning, and gets decent gas mileage.

A neighbor of mine drives a BMW. It does exactly what my car does only it looks better, and gets more compliments.

A friend of mine in West Virginia drives a car he built out of 2 x 4's and plywood. His car does all the same things as my Hyundai and my neighbors BMW does, only it tends to attract termites and carpenter bees.

OK, that story isn't entirely true. The guy in West Virginia isn't really a friend of mine. :D

Back