Shaking Up Long Held Brewing Concepts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fifelee

Reaction score
I am still a newbie, but feel I have a good grasp on the brew process.....until I read this article by Eric Watson. Sure seem like he is shaking things up.

-No first wort hopping.
-Don't bother step mashing.
-Airate the starter not the wort.

What do you "experts" think?

He also has three follow up articles on the same web page.

-I've only just started first wort hopping but because it's easier and on less thing to think about.
-I don't step mash. I increase my strike temp if I want more body.
-I just did a batch without extra aeration. I'm going to start a tread to discuss this.

fifelee said:
-No first wort hopping.
I don’t. I may not wait a full 10 minutes but it is after my boil has begun.
fifelee said:
-Don't bother step mashing.
I don’t especially with grains available today.
fifelee said:
-Airate the starter not the wort.
I don’t. I aerate the top-up and the starter.
Not much shaking here :D

Wild

#1 -- I think that FWH is just another technique that folks are playing with, head retention isn't everything. As for waiting a full 10 minutes after vigorous boil to add hops, this is to get a good hot break before the hop addition. This will greatly reduce the likelihood of a boil over. I have not played with FWH but I haven't seen a significant head retention difference in waiting for hot break vs. adding hops right at boil.

#2 -- I think most folks know that single infusion mashing is adequate for todays malts. Other procedures like step mashing, decoction mashing etc. will change the outcome of the beer but it is extremely small differences and almost all the fine tuning can be done by varying your strike temp. It is pretty universally accepted that modern grains can be fully converted in 20 minutes. It's also pretty well accepted that modern drink coolers (most popular mash tun) will easily hold temp for much longer than 20 minutes. If you aren't testing for conversion then it makes sense to mash longer than needed for insurance. Tannin extraction etc. will not be a problem as long as you keep your Ph down. As you extract the sweet wort from the grains you are also extracting the acid. The thinner the runnings the more the Ph moves toward your water's natural Ph. Most folks' water Ph is closer to 8 which means a greater chance of tannin extraction. Nothing ground shaking there.

#3 -- I agree with this point with one caveat. You must make a starter with an adequate cell count. If you are pitching all the yeast you need there is little or no need for cell reproduction. In this environment you want anaerobic metabolism to start sooner rather than later. If you are underpitching, as most brewers do, then you want your wort aerated. As for O2 vs. aquarium pump, the aquarium pump is easier as you can just run it as long as you like. O2 is much faster but does have some risk of over oxygenation.

Makes sense.

I may start experimenting with shorter rests (I pretty-much always do single infusion.)

That could take the better part of an hour off of brew day, since I usually do a 60-90 minute rest.

Anyone have a counter argument of what the downside of a shorter rest is (assuming complete conversion)?

Back