Texas State Fair: Deep Fried Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knotquiteawake

Reaction score
I don't think anyone's talked about this yet, I searched at least...
http://www.dallasnews.com/video/dallasnews/hp/?bcid=595232351001&bcpl=207603118001
This year's state fair here in the great Republic of Texas is going to feature deep fried beer. Now, as long as they keep the product filled with something "ok" like Guinness (not the best but better Miller/Bud filled treats) it sounds ok, Guinness isn't supposed to be cold anyways (depending on who you ask, like Guinness).

Interesting. I would definitely try it. I don't see what is so secretive about it. What is so hard about filling a ravioli with beer, freezing it, then deep frying it?

I miss the Texas State Fair. NC one doesn't even compare.

Five full time people working on Fried Beer? Thank you scientist.

youre encroaching on the minnesota state fair. as long as you don't put it on a stick there wont be any trouble.

My guess is that its only fried for a few seconds, just enough time to soften up the outside but leave the inside frozen/cold.

How is that fried beer? Just sounds like fried beer batter.

I saw this show on TV where a guy at a fair made deep fried Coke. Basically he made a batter with Coke and Coke syrup, then fried it. By all accounts, it tasted like Coke and was good. How are you going to concentrate beer flavor to make a batter with a final taste of beer? It think the final product will be horrible, but just the idea of deep fried beer will have people lined up to buy it.

I saw this show on TV where a guy at a fair made deep fried Coke. Basically he made a batter with Coke and Coke syrup, then fried it. By all accounts, it tasted like Coke and was good. How are you going to concentrate beer flavor to make a batter with a final taste of beer? It think the final product will be horrible, but just the idea of deep fried beer will have people lined up to buy it.

Yeah, his actually had beer inside not just in the recipe.

How are you going to concentrate beer flavor to make a batter with a final taste of beer?

To answer the question in the quote above...freeze concentration should do the trick.

No, I do not want to discuss that here or the legalities surrounding it. Nor do I wish to hijack this thread. Please use search if you are interested in this as there are MANY posts about it...TYVM :mug:

To answer the question in the quote above...freeze concentration should do the trick.

No, I do not want to discuss that here or the legalities surrounding it. Nor do I wish to hijack this thread. Please use search if you are interested in this as there are MANY posts about it...TYVM :mug:

So I broke the law when I put those 3 cans of warm beer in the freezer to cool down and forgot about them? :D

So I broke the law when I put those 3 cans of warm beer in the freezer to cool down and forgot about them? :D

Your answer is:

I was just trying to avoid any bs that comes with even the mention of F.C. as it can easily derail a good thread...:mug:

I am thinking about making a closer version of deep fried beer than the ravioli noodle thingy. I am thinking a freeze concentrated beer with a funnel cake batter. mixed and served similar to something like:

1 egg
2/3 cup freeze concentrated beer
1 1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder

mix the above and place into a Ziploc baggie. cut the corner out and squeeze it into the fry daddy. remove when golden brown with tongs. topped with a shredded cheddar and Parmesan mix...or pretzel salt...I will let you know in a few days if it is decent or not...

So, this becomes little more than a crispy ravioli filled with a palate scalding shot of hot beer.

Hmmm.

I have to wonder how hot the beer gets, seeing as it's protected by the pretzel like outside and frozen. The article said he only fried it for 15-20 seconds. I'm also willing to bet he mixed the beer with something to thicken it. I'd try it once just to say I did :)

Yes, I realize there are methods to concentrate beer, but I'm dubious of the final result. The Coke we drink every day is diluted Coke syrup - that's what it's supposed to be. But I have little faith in concentrating beer and using it to create a beer-dough-stuff thing that actually tastes like beer. I suspect it will be an abomination.

BTW - I have limited experience with ice bocks and the like, but I haven't had an ice concentrated beer that did not put me off. YMMV

I suspect it will be an abomination.

No argument from me. I agree 1000%. I think the original "pocket" fried beer is a novelty more so than a culinary delight, the T-shirt that reads "In Texas we fry everything including beer" will sell for more than the food item...my goal is to attempt to make something that won't induce vomiting...we will see...:D

:off:

I wish that guy good luck in litigating his "Fried Beer" trademark, without adding something to it. Can I have a valid trademark on "fried ice-cream"? Probably not. "Texas Fried Beer" would have more success (e.g., "Kentucky Fried Chicken").

What I think is funny, is how secretive he is and defensive he is about this "fried beer" like somebody is going to start up a rival fried beer stand at the local fair ala 80's movie style and compete with him. Either that or he has the delusion that he'll open some fried beer megachain.

Back