Adding oranginess to Wit post fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qvantamon

Reaction score
I'm drinking my wit right now, from the keg. It's really good, but it's got a slightly funny smell. I used some 8 month old leftover bitter orange peel and coriander - I only had .4oz orange and .5 oz coriander, thought it would be fine, but now it seems it's a lil bit more coriandery than orangy (i guess uncrushed coriander keeps better than orange peels). It's on a keg, so I'm tempted to fix it. I'm wondering if adding a tbsp or so of straight oj (or maybe squeezing a bit of a bitterer variety) isn't a good idea (I've read the citric acid on orange slices harm the head retention on glasses, but what about a tbsp of oj in a full 4gal of beer?). Opinions?

Btw, i boiled the peels for 15 min, that's what it said on the pack, but i read recommendations here against boiling them for more than 10 min. Could this be an issue?

I'd zest a few oranges, boil that in a little water for just a couple minutes to sanitize and then chuck that in the keg. The bitter orange peel is sometimes more bitter than orange.

Back