champagne bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniel17319

Reaction score
heres my question im plan to do all my bottling with used champagne

1. do chanpagne bottles that take corks, can they also be capped

2. are there any other cappers old style ones that change the bell on the them,,,im not talking about the red baron, bench cappers.

3. are there any larger bottles than champange bottles for bottling that dont cost an arm and a leg

4. wich chamgange bottles are the best

Champagne bottles are great. I like to use them for bottling my annual Christmas beer gifts, which always get a warm reception!

In addition to what Pappers said, you should be aware that there are two different kinds of champagne bottles. There's the "American" bottle that takes standard bottle caps, and then there's the "European" version that takes a slightly larger 29mm size cap. You'll need a larger bell for your capper to use 29mm caps. The red barron is the only capper I'm aware of that has the larger bell. My old bench style cappers are standard size.

oh ok thats very helpful, what about growlers for bottleing too, i defentely like the idea of bottleing large amounts of beer in glass. so i need a bench capper with 2 different bells, does that sound right?

You can transport already carbonated beer in a growler, but you cannot carbonate in a growler. They are not meant to hold pressure.

3. are there any larger bottles than champange bottles for bottling that dont cost an arm and a leg

I also use 1 liter flip-top bottles, I like them a lot, they're just the right size to share a brew with one or maybe two other people. And while they are a little expensive, I reuse them over and over. I tend not to give these away to people, just for my own in-home use.

I bought them at my lhbs, but they look like the bottles here except they are 1 liter, not 1/2 liter http://www.breworganic.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=515

In addition to what Pappers said, you should be aware that there are two different kinds of champagne bottles. There's the "American" bottle that takes standard bottle caps, and then there's the "European" version that takes a slightly larger 29mm size cap.

Apparently, my lbhs sells the american version. Thanks for the info!

I use Cook's "Champagne" bottles. A 1.5 liter bottle is about 6$ at Costco. The only problem is you have to do something with the nasty "Champagne" inside the bottles.

I use Cook's "Champagne" bottles. A 1.5 liter bottle is about 6$ at Costco. The only problem is you have to do something with the nasty "Champagne" inside the bottles.

I also meant to say that the normal bottle caps work on these bottles...

that sounds awsome see it this sounds write, new years is coming up my brother can get a bunch of free chamgagne bottles, (im in iraq right now). i get a capper with 2 different size bells and cap away lol or cork.

1 what kind of capper will cork and do everything, cap etc.

2 any other ideas for large brewing glassware,

3 what about the screw on lid growlers are these any different as far as pressure is concerned and bottling. also can a cork a cap style champagne bottle im still confused.

thanx guys as always, really helpful

I stopped by my LHBS and bought a bag of the plastic corks and some wire cages for the larger belgian beer bottles I have purchased over the months and they have worked great so far.
hooded-wires-for-belgian-beer-bottles-60-ct.html

Does anybody have a good source for BIG champagne bottles? Like the 1.5 litre variety. How about 1.5 litre trappist bottles? That is, if they exist.

that sounds awsome see it this sounds write, new years is coming up my brother can get a bunch of free chamgagne bottles, (im in iraq right now). i get a capper with 2 different size bells and cap away lol or cork.

1 what kind of capper will cork and do everything, cap etc.

2 any other ideas for large brewing glassware,

3 what about the screw on lid growlers are these any different as far as pressure is concerned and bottling. also can a cork a cap style champagne bottle im still confused.

thanx guys as always, really helpful

1) Not sure about the best all around capper / corker, but I like my red baron double lever cappers. They're easy to find, accept both sizes of bells, and have reversible grippers with 26mm on one side and 29mm on the other. Some of the dogfish head brews come in a champagne style bottle that requires the 26mm bell, but the 29mm grippers.

3) Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's the thin wall glass of the growler and not the lid type that makes it unsuitable for carbonating pressures.

Back