Anybody ever plate / slant WLP004?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beretta

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to plating and slanting yeast. I'm in the process of isolating/purifying a White Lab 004, Irish Ale strain. The plates took, and show no signs of gross infection, and I have isolated round colonies, but the streaks are very pale, very translucent looking. I've tried this with a couple of other strains (WL840, WL001) and the colonies looks pretty much like the yeast in the starter looks... opaque, creamy, and waxy. This strain looks very different from my experience. This is the second time I've tried to streak/slant this yeast. The last time, I ended up with similar looking translucent blobs, but I used gelatin. It got warm (>70 deg) and the yeast when bananas and liquified the plates. Last time I figured it was gross infection, and threw the plates out. But this time, I'm still getting the same anemic looking yeasts, but the agar plates are holding up. What's the deal? Is this how yeasts are supposed to look? The starter that I used to make the streaks looks fine?

Back