What software to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMOKEU

Reaction score
What software do you guys use to design your labels? I'm looking for something simple to use, yet powerful at the same time.

GIMP is good, but somewhat hard to get learned IMO.
I use Corel Photopaint, which is similar to Photoshop.
For vector design maybe Corel DRAW or Adobe Illustrator.

Depends on whether you are going to want to design logos from scratch in vector type, or simply manipulate images and add some texts and basic shapes.

There is at least one program online that allows you to design a basic label and then download the image. Might try searching for that.

For the highest quality, you need to use a vector art program like Adobe Illustrator. Applications like Photoshop and Gimp are raster-based, meaning when you draw your logo, it is represented by discrete pixels at a fixed resolution. For example, if you resize the image for print (higher resolution = higher DPI) the image will be blockier and not very crisp. Vector art is represented by geometric shapes/equations, so it's easy to transform these images without loss. The downside of vector art is that it's somewhat harder to draw and it's not usually photo realistic.

Inkscape is a free vector drawing app, but I haven't used it.

Inkscape FTW

A great suggestion! I've toyed with inkscape a few times when I was away from work or personal PCs. I'm a Corel junky by trade (graphics manager for a beer distributor) but thought it worked well and has a good support base.

I'd highly suggest anyone making their own label/brand/identity to build a vector logo (or a really really high resolution raster logo at the least) in the event you want larger prints/banners/shirts/etc made.

I would definitely go with Inkscape...a bit harder than Gimp or Photoshop...but the results are worth it.

Back